Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar? Do you still suffer from cravings? page

Alison is offline Member

Sugar? Do you still suffer from cravings?

Shop Now
    I try to eat as paleo/primal as i can, however i feel that my sugar addiction isnt kicked. Do I need to cut out all fruits, nuts, and dairy? ( only have them as a treat or cheat will you say) after a certain amount of time just eating fats meats and veggies. I still crave sweet things even though i know i am full. I know that it takes about two weeks for your body to adapt to something(roughly) kinda confused=/ I feel like I can cut the fruits, don't eat the dairy anyway, but when it comes to the nuts its like i gorge myself on them, especially cashews and pecans...i would venture to say those nuts have more sugar or carbs in them if i were to look, although replacing nuts with sugar is good...i want my inches to budge sorry for the ramble

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I don't keep nut butters in the house for that exact reason. I can't control myself around it.

Try going a month without them, then revisit the issue and see how you feel.

krassi is offline Member
    I am trying paleo without the fruit now and it's been going on for about 3 weeks and I haven't had an ounce of sugar craving.

In the past, while eating fruit, I would sometimes get ravenous sugar cravings that would end with a binge. Not very pleasant afterwards.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Cutting out fruit for a while (about a month) helped me kick the sugar addiction...now it's really only a problem right before my TOM, so I just don't keep it (sugar) in the house then. If it's not here, it's not a problem. I also try to avoid fruit then as well. Except for those 3-4 days a month, I can enjoy fruit and it doesn't trigger a sugar binge.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Alison is offline Member
    Makes total sense...thanks for the posts guys! just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone ...and seeing what everyone else does to combat those "problems"

Digby is offline Senior Member
    My new motto is: If tastes sweet, probably can't eat. My only exceptions these days are berries, and occasional nut butter treats I make. Some of us are on the high end of the reactive insulin bell curve, which means we must avoid 95% of sweet tastes. E.g., butternut squash or bananas while good primal foods are too carb rich for me. It took me several years to accept this state of being, but it is easier once you do.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I am the same way, fruit spikes my blood sugar and triggers cravings. I was hoping could get away with it if I only ate it with primal meals but nuh uh. I've stopped it now and am waiting to see how it goes when PMS time comes round again!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Uncledave is offline Member
    I'm fortunate in that I don't really have cravings of any kind at least as I define craving. If I see someone eating something I used to eat and don't now, occasionally it will look good to me, but it's not an extreme thing. The few times I've allowed myself to stray, I really didn't get the satisfaction I was hoping for and regretted that I set myself back. As a result it doesn't happen often. Sweets were never my downfall though. It was more the fast food and processed junk food. I can satisfy my "fat tooth" by eating healthier primal dishes.
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Ayla is offline Senior Member

Apples

I have been Primal for over 6 months now, and I never crave processed sugar crap, even though I used to gorge on it like a fiend. I DO, however, crave apples, coconut, nuts, and cashew butter. And I drink unsweetened Bengal Spice tea, which tastes very sweet to me. I'm not worrying about these little cravings- so much in my life has changed since I went Primal, it hardly seems fair to deprive myself of the love of "dessert," especially since an apple is hardly a vice.

For me, one of the best things about eating primally is that I can have a little piece of pie or a cookie on a special occasion, but that does NOT trigger insane sugar cravings the next day the way it used to for me. However, if I start eating a banana every day or something, I get "addicted," just like I think that I am now addicted to cashew butter.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I still got cravings for sugar the first year or so while on Primal (complimented by a giant binge every few weeks). It wasn't until recently that I found My Cure (TM)(YMMV), which consists of eating A LOT of primal food. As in, stuffing my face once a day (first meal) and eating until 80-90% full once or twice more after that depending upon my hunger. This might not work incredibly well for those with metabolic issues/IR, but I have honestly never felt better. I've been eating this way for a little over a month now and I haven't had a single pang of craving for non-primal foods. Don't get me wrong, I still get hungry from my daily 16-18 hour fasts. This is REAL hunger, though; the kind of hunger that can only be sated by eating a big slab of meat or offal with a good amount of veggies and maybe a little potato/sweet potato.

Speaking of offal, I've also been eating a fair amount of grass fed cow's liver as of late, which might have something to do with it...maybe "cravings" are just as attributable to nutritional deficiencies as they are to physiological addiction.

Anyway, I feel that many of the newbies here (myself included in the past) are trying to do too many things at once. "I want to change my dietary habits, lose weight, gain strength, and basically become a God/Goddess at EVERYTHING."

Not a great idea.

Curing the "I want everything" attitude is the basis behind Whole30. Spend thirty days eating AS MUCH of the "approved" foods as you want. Literally...AS...MUCH...AS...YOU...WANT! Who gives a shit about your weight or athletic performance (though, this will likely increase) during that time. What you're attempting to do is rebuild a positive relationship with the foods you should be eating, which is vitally important to your mental health.

Your primary focus in diet should not be just the ephemeral pleasure of achieving your fitness and body goals...although, these are quite nice.
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 02-10-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast