Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pork belly recipes page

denise is offline Senior Member

pork belly recipes

Shop Now
    In an effort to try new fattier cuts of meat i bought some pork belly slices, about an inch think each. BUT I have no idea how to cook them. I was simply going to rub with spices and roast - any other tasty suggestions from you guys appreciated though? Husband not sure he fancies them - lots of fat! Don't want to cook them badly and put us both off.

Thank you

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Simply roasted will be fine. I usually buy it in a piece - skin side up, well dried then rubbed with salt, placed on a sprig or two of sage and roast as high as the oven will go for about 25 minutes, then turn down to about 160 C for another 40 minutes - poke it with a fork to see if it is tender; if not put it back for another 15 minutes and try again etc.

Delicious stuff and wonderful flavour. The skin goes amazingly crackl-y and crisp.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Made Pork-belly-Sisig-with-cabbage last week, simple recipe and quite tasty

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Korean cuisine is very Paleo. Try it like this: Grilled pork belly lettuce wraps.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Chicharrones are delicious.

mic
    mic is offline Junior Member
    This time of year, I REALLY like braised pork belly; there are plenty of recipes out there, and if they call for sugar, just eliminate it or sub with a bit of honey. I made this one back in December: Five Spice Braised Pork Belly; I used bacon fat for the vegetable oil.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I fry them up in slices (not one inch slices, more like really thick cut bacon thickness) on low heat for a long time until they get all crispy and the layer of skin on the top (?bottom) is super crisp. Season with whatever you like, such as salt, onion or garlic powder. Childhood comfort food for me, though whenever I cook them hubby looks on in dismay and makes a face and just doesn't get the fatty, crispy goodness. One of my teenagers could take or leave them, the other always asks for some when I make them. It does make quite a mess and takes a while, but well worth it.

As a matter of fact, I have some in my fridge now and I'm getting hungry reading this...so off to splatter up the stove I go

I am just back from the asian grocery with pork belly chunks for chicarrones and slices for Greensprout's method. I also brought back some marinated pork for a snack. I am in pork heaven this weekend!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalknitter View Post
    I am just back from the asian grocery with pork belly chunks for chicarrones and slices for Greensprout's method. I also brought back some marinated pork for a snack. I am in pork heaven this weekend!
    When you fry the slices, the key is "low and long", as in lowish heat so you don't burn them, and depending on how thick your slices are and how crispy you like them, it usually takes a minimum of 30 minutes, unless they are super thin. I turn them fairly frequently too. A good splatter screen helps the mess, but you're bound to get a lot of splatter. And keep your range hood fan on, even with it, your house will smell like pork for the rest of the day. I kind of like it, but hubby complains. Suck it up princess, I tell him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast