Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut alternative?? page

MyBodyMyTemple is offline Senior Member

coconut alternative??

Looks like I may be allergic to coconut. Whenever I eat it my throat becomes irritated. I'm thinking I need to take it out for a bit and see if my throat clears up. Does anyone have any alternatives? I don't eat dairy so butter is out. I use coconut to cook with and as a major source of fat. Not sure what else to use.... ????

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    is the coconut oil on your throat what's irritating? Does all coconut bother you? milk, dried, etc.

I'd get thee some lard rendered, and maybe tallow. But I prefer the taste of lard in almost anything.

Try the NON Extra virgin type of coconut oil....make sure it's specifically cold pressed, or expeller-pressed though. It doesn't taste "coconutty", so maybe that will alleviate your symptoms. I hate the taste of coconut personally, so the NON extra virgin type is the only type I can use.

Coconut oil has the best spread of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids out of all the oils, so you'd be better-off using it than not.

I have not tried milk or dried. I just notice when I use coconut oil my throat becomes very irritated and it messes with my voice. The kind I have is extra virgin. I'll try the non extra virgin and maybe coconut milk see if that helps! The problem is my voice is very important for my job so I cannot have an irritated throat no matter how beneficial coconut oil may be. Hopefully either the non extra virgin or coconut milk will work!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    In the meantime bacon grease and lard both work well. You can even find pastured lard some places
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

peril is offline Senior Member
    Many types of animal fat out there. Ghee is from dairy but has none of the proteins or carbs. Red palm oil is harder to find but has many good properties
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I did a quick google search and found this article:

http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/c...allergies.html

it states that a coconut allergy is unlikely, that probably what you're experiencing is detox symptoms.

to help choose a good coconut oil, check out Tropical Tradition's website:
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm

If being allergic is unlikely then why would my throat become irritated only when I eat coconut oil? That seems strange to me that as soon as I swallow coconut oil my throat releases toxins??? Hmmm. The only brands I can find here are Spectrum and Barleans. Maybe they don't produce the best coconut oil???

I just put some of the Barlean's Extra Virgin coconut oil on my arm and it immediately started itching. Maybe it is the brand? buy non extra virgin? Or I'm just allergic to coconut?

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My throat reacts to extra virgin as well. Try the expeller pressed! I use it in cooking mostly, and on my body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast