Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Sports Barefoot and/or in Minimalist Footwear page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Playing Sports Barefoot and/or in Minimalist Footwear

I started running barefoot and in my vibrams last summer. I didn't play sports much - just tennis a few times. It was very weird playing barefoot and in my vibrams although If i did it over and over again I may have gotten used to it.

What do you guys recommend for barefoot runners who wish to play a pick up game of basketball or play tennis for about an hour? Should one wear vibrams or wear regular shoes?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

eisenreich is offline Member
    With my KSOs, I worried about tearing the fabric due to the quick lateral movement involved. I'm sure it's possible to play tennis in the Vibrams, but I'd feel safer in regular cross-trainers.

I'm in a kickball league and played a game in the Vibrams. The other team stopped chuckling after my stand-up triple..

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    I tried to play basketball in vibrams once, but it didn't work very well. They got stretched out quickly and then slipped on my foot when i would plant. I've played barefoot before, but it is much harder to plant and change direction quickly. I wear nike frees when i play now. They work perfectly.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I will have to possibly try out nike frees...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I've played touch rugby in them with decent success. Didn't have quite as good traction.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i don't like them for sports, training sure, sprinting sure, multiple variables when your focus is most likely not on your form... nope

I tried them for volleyball and my joints took a beating from the landings, i wouldn't even consider them if people around me were wearing cleats.

These observations were for VFFs.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

RobbieC is offline Member
    I would think some old school Chuck Taylors would be a good option, at least for basketball and tennis.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    My father in law would play basketball (on hardwoods) barefoot. So we would step on his toes to throw him off (didn't often work). Give it a shot, but I'd assume that others will probably try the same.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    I think it'd be difficult to play a sport where there is lots of planting, cutting and changing direction as others have said.

However, I'm intending to get a pair of five fingers or the Merrill barefoots that just came out for the gym... squatting/deadlifting, etc. I've heard great things about doing these exercises with minimalist footwear.

RobbieC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hit significant PRs in dead lift and back squats after converting and training in my VFFs (mostly wear Classics, but mix in my KSOs on occasion).
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast