Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Diet Mt. Dew Addiction page

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member

My Diet Mt. Dew Addiction

I am doing pretty good in my food choices, have started moving slowly and lifting heavy things regularly, so now it's time to conquer my Diet Mt. Dew addiction. I drink so much of it daily that I don't even want to admit here how much.

But how? I live on the caffeine. In the past I have tried Red Bull drinks and they don't even phase me, so apparently I am very wired all the time.

My biggest problem is what to drink first thing in the morning. Water makes me feel nauseated first thing in the morning. I like iced tea - if it's sweetened. One of the reasons I want to give up the Dew is because of artificial sweetners. Would adding a bit of sugar or honey to my tea be better than sticking with the Dews?

So, do I grin and bear it through caffeine withdrawals? The last time I tried it was awful. Do I take some of those caffeine loaded energy pills to get me past the phase of giving up the Dew, then give up the caffeine pills? And what do I drink in the mornings that won't make me feel ill? I like coconut milk, so maybe that? Sigh. This is worse than quitting smoking!

Thanks for any input.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why even post this? You know you need to beat your caffeine addiction. Do it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try GT's kombucha. It's slightly sparkling, full of probiotics (which you likely need) and has a bit of caffeine. Try to stick to the original--not very sweet, but it will help you kick the habit sooner if you avoid sugar/fruit juice, etc.

Alternatively coffee or hot tea with heavy cream will give you the caffeine hit without the sugar.

Personally, I think that there is nothing wrong with a little caffeine. Black Coffee or green tea would be a good substitute for the diet soda. I get a lot of caffeine in my pre-workout drink, but if I don't get that I'll drink coffee, otherwise the withdrawals set in. If you want to ween yourself off the caffeine and avoid the head-aches, you could drop the soda completely, and get some caffeine pills, so that you could gently ramp yourself down to nothing over the course of a week or so.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Sugar could potentially aggravate cravings and withdrawal. What I would do is drink something (if it must be a drink) with cream or coconut milk. I also hate drinking water first thing in the morning, but I'm fine with a more substantial drink and it makes eating more comfortable too. You're used to drinking something sweet in the morning but I just don't think that replacing it with a new poison is going to do any good.

Peril - I posted this in hopes that perhaps someone here had been through this, or as the other two who replied, had some helpful suggestions. I thought that was the purpose of these forums?

I'm starting to notice a whole lot of snobbery in this forum, and it's not a good thing.

Mark himself says that he drink a cup of coffee with sugar in it, every morning.

I like caffeine.....it's my friend. I'm 34, and I have 7.5% bodyfat with a 275lb 1 rep max bench press.....so if anyone can tell me that caffeine is hurting me in some way, I'll stop using it too. :-)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Loco Moco is offline Member
    i think a lot of the appeal of soda (at least for me) is the bubbly-ness. i found sparkling water/club soda to be a passable replacement; i just mix it with a little pomegranate or cranberry juice to make it taste better, and maybe tea would be good, too if you're worried about the sugar - but i haven't tried it. i guess that won't help much with the caffeine, but...it sounds like you already know that caffeine is fine. good, strong coffee with coconut milk is delish!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it the caffeine, the sweets, or both that you want to give up? If it was me, I'd tackle one problem at a time. In my mind, craving sweets is a much bigger problem than being hooked on caffeine so I'd try switching to coffee or tea with no sweetener. Whipping cream in either is highly recommended.

I'm sensitive to caffeine and go through withdrawal when I don't have it. It sucks bad. Coffee is a much bigger problem for me in that regard. Tea is also easier on my stomach and a slower more gentle hit. Since you're acclimated to Mt Dew, you might want to go for coffee. Double strength. Then if you want you can switch to regular coffee, then tea and then reduce that until you're free.

Gordo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast