Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods you used to love page

Enamel is offline Senior Member

Foods you used to love

I can't claim to be far enough along that I could turn up my nose at every processed food out there - I still love a lot of sugary junk - but what are the foods that have just completely lost their appeal for you? Jealous if your answer is 'all processed junk', but realizing how many of my old favourite foods just sound gross now gives me hope that I'll be able to say that someday.

My list:
    Pizza - I used to adore pizza like no other. I used to spend hours making my own, and there used to be this excellent take and bake place that was a special treat. I was always mystified as to why I felt exhausted after eating pizza, though. Extreme fatigue is my #1 symptom from ingesting wheat, but I was 14 at the time and had no idea that I was allergic.

Cinnamon rolls - my mom used to make incredible ones, but I wouldn't want to eat them now even if they didn't make me sick.
    Donuts - they smell nice, but I have no desire to put one in my mouth.

Bread - it's gone from being my favourite food of all time to me not even remembering why it tasted good. It was probably the butter that I loved to slather on my mom's bread when it was fresh out of the oven.

Macaroni and cheese - (not from a box) I'm wracking my brain, trying to come up with some excuse for loving this (and all other forms of pasta), but it's just something I'd hate to eat now.

Jam/preserves - I'm a sugar-fiend, but I had a tiny, tiny taste of some preserves to make sure they were okay to use in a recipe for someone else, and I had to spit them out because they were so sickeningly sweet, and they were low-sugar preserves without artificial sweeteners or anything.

Instant ramen - it was novel at first, but I remember a rather unpleasant family vacation that involved living off of instant ramen that we'd cook with water from motel coffee pots. I never wanted to eat it again after that, thank god.

Tapioca pudding - even when I loved this stuff, it still felt like eating gobs of snot.

Boba drinks - my love affair with these was short, because I discovered them shortly before deciding to eat better. I don't even want to think about how many useless carbs they have, but they were so fun to drink.

Nuts - I ate a few the other night, but only because it was an easy option. These are the most inoffensive things on my list, but they just seem to have lost their appeal. Fruit seems like it's going to be creeping into this category, too. I wish all the other sweet things I loved would fall into the I-don't-want-it category instead, LOL.

apple is offline Senior Member
    One thing I reallllly miss so far is stuffed grape leaves. I might have some every once in a while once I get further settled into primal eating. It's just rice and olive oil and grape leaves I think.

Right now anything super sugary and processed doesn't sound appetizing, but things like grandma's homemade Christmas cookies (snickerdoodles mmm) sound amazing. I'm not sure if it is a psychological thing because I have always had a special place in my heart/tummy for gma's cookies, or because they're actually delicious. I know come Christmas I'll need a coconut/almond flour snickerdoodle recipe to keep me from giving myself gluten flu...
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Posts like this always amaze me. My tastes have barely changed. I never in my life was big on sweets, but what little I eat still tastes good. I haven't eaten bread or pizza at all for about seven months, and not much for years, but they still sound good to me. The taste for them is still there. I still eat nuts, mostly macadamias and almonds, but they all taste wonderful. If I was going to have something sweet, I might well choose tapioca. Haven't had it for about five months but the taste for it is there. Good white rice (e.g. basmati or jasmine), white potato (even without butter), and other things that people here rant about - still as good as ever.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Totally the same about Pizza. It just looks like cardboard to me now.
    Chips and crackers- dry, cardboard.
    Baked goods - use to love donuts, but just have no desire to eat them now.
    Ice cream - never really liked it that much before.
    Bread and butter - thinking about it makes me feel full or bloated probably.
    Macadamia nuts - I think I overate these and now I am very sick of them and will only eat them if I'm starving and need something fast.
    Mixed nuts - I think I use to love these because my body was craving fats. But now that I'm satiated, I don't care about nuts anymore.

In fact, I just don't care about eating anymore. It's weird. I use to think it was fun. But now it's just something I have to do when I'm hungry. Not that I don't enjoy eating, but it doesn't replace boredom for me anymore.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    One thing I reallllly miss so far is stuffed grape leaves. I might have some every once in a while once I get further settled into primal eating. It's just rice and olive oil and grape leaves I think.
    I love these too. I found some just plain leaves at a middle eastern market and I'm experimenting with alternative primal stuffings for them.

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post

Right now anything super sugary and processed doesn't sound appetizing, but things like grandma's homemade Christmas cookies (snickerdoodles mmm) sound amazing. I'm not sure if it is a psychological thing because I have always had a special place in my heart/tummy for gma's cookies, or because they're actually delicious. I know come Christmas I'll need a coconut/almond flour snickerdoodle recipe to keep me from giving myself gluten flu...
    The only time I had stuffed grape leaves, they were disgusting, but I must've just been unlucky. They sound so good in theory!

I have the same thing when it comes to gingerbread cookies on St. Nicholas day - they've always been a part of the holidays to me, and I'll probably always make them. I only eat them once a year, and I have a wonderful grain-free recipe for them, so there's no pain involved in my nostalgia-trips, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Posts like this always amaze me. My tastes have barely changed. I never in my life was big on sweets, but what little I eat still tastes good. I haven't eaten bread or pizza at all for about seven months, and not much for years, but they still sound good to me. The taste for them is still there. I still eat nuts, mostly macadamias and almonds, but they all taste wonderful. If I was going to have something sweet, I might well choose tapioca. Haven't had it for about five months but the taste for it is there. Good white rice (e.g. basmati or jasmine), white potato (even without butter), and other things that people here rant about - still as good as ever.
    I always used to feel like the odd one out when I saw threads like this as well, but then I realized that my tastes have changed considerably. I guess I just didn't notice for a while because I stopped thinking about those foods, haha.
    Good frozen yogurt and ice cream taste just as amazing as when I first had them, unfortunately. Grains have lost their appeal, but sugar is still tasty poison to me. Oh well, I'm young and don't eat it every day, so maybe there's hope that I won't care for it as time goes on. Losing my taste for nuts really, really surprised me, though. Just a few weeks ago, you could hand me a bag of trail-mix and it'd be a battle for me to hand it back with some left in it.
    Trader Joe's macadamia/almond/candied ginger/cranberry trail-mix still sounds pretty good, though.

Nothing to care about, though. I'll start worrying if I ever lose my taste for beef...

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I don't really think about it, what's the point? I have a new way of eating now and I'm trying really hard to stay on plan.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    I know this sounds odd, but....

Jimmy Dean Breakfast D-Lites. Zomg.

And desserts. Mostly Brown Sugar + anything.

Damn Enamel. Now you got me all hungry

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sweet fruits are the only thing I've lost my taste for since going primal. Not sure why. I don't hate them or anything, but the ones that aren't predominantly tart just don't appeal to me anymore. Adding fat can make me love it all again, though (apple or banana slices fried in butter, berries and coconut milk, stuff like that).

Overall, I'd have to agree with Hedonist. My tastes have changed in the sense that things I used to think were bland (like veggies) are now full of flavor, but I've never lost my taste for any of the old favorites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast