Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asthma page

Dedaw is offline Member

Asthma

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tried searching through the site, but couldn't find much in the area of improving asthma naturally. I stopped taking my medication (Singulair) and long-term inhaler, maybe a little prematurely. From reading Primal Blueprint, some other sources, and common knowledge, I want to avoid taking over-the-counter and prescription medications as much as possible. I will ALWAYS have an albuterol inhaler just in case something were to ever go wrong and I'd need it (asthma attacks are extremely scary, for those that haven't experienced one), but want to avoid everything else.

Have any of you improved your asthma, and if so, how? I know running is supposed to help a lot, but what else can I do? I try to do deep-breathing, but often forget once things get a little busy. Are there any foods, vitamins, supplements, etc. that will help?

Thanks guys!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I cleared my life-long asthma with EFT. EFT is essentially acupressure tapping. Works well for the emotional causes of asthma (if any--depends on the person!)

On the physical, supplementing to sufficiency with Vitamin D, and going full Primal (NO gluten grains) while eating very high quality food with sufficient minerals is key. Make sure you have sufficient magnesium in your diet or supplement.

rachelpit is offline Junior Member
    Stress is a common asthma trigger. An asthma trigger is anything that brings on asthma symptoms. When you have stress and asthma, you might feel short of breath, anxious, and even panicked. Stress may cause your asthma symptoms to worsen and cause you to feel frightened.

Childrens Playhouses

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I stopped my asthma and weezing by eliminating major allergens from my diet especially gluten and dairy. Also like rachelpit said, I reduced my stress levels by sleeping better, stopping chronic cardio and reducing caffeine intake. Not only has my asthma stopped, but so has most of my allergies and IBS issues.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same experience. I never had allergies growing up, nor asthma. When I was in my mid-30s, I lived in a house that unbeknownst to me was chock full of mold and who-knows-what. I started having episodes where I literally had to sit still and focus on gasping for breath.

Took shots for allergies for almost three years but that just made it (mostly) manageable with OTC allergy meds and very occasional use of an inhaler (usually only when I had to get some sleep and was freaking myself out by not being able to breathe).

A couple of weekends ago I vacuumed without wearing a respirator. No problems. Last weekend I burned trash and tree branches in the back yard, which for the last several years has meant at least one night and often several of sitting up to sleep so I could breathe. No problems.

I've been eating fairly strict primal (no sugar, no grains, very little dairy, fairly regular fish oil & vitamin D) for four months. Drastically increased sleep quality and quantity, and reduced stress.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I went through very similar experiences beachrat. We had an addition in the back of our house that sprung a leak and over the years mold grew under the carpets. We replaced the addition with a brand new structure and things got much better. I also took allergies shots twice a week for over a year as well as used OTC products to no avail. Eating really clean with no dairy/no gluten is what really did the trick along with great sleep. You and me have the same sig by the way
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    my asthma which I have had since I was a child has all but disappeared in the last year. As an adult it hasnt usually been that bad, but every night I would wake in the middle of the night and need to take a puff of my ventolin inhaler... I havent done that for a long time, I have stopped taking my preventative a long time ago as well (although I was pretty slap dash about that).

I am definitely not 100% primal, and hardly even 80% some days (and currently not even managing 50% if you ask me..tsk tsk).

3 things I think helped:
    1. Not eating grains, a better diet for sure, but as I say I am no where near 80% on this, but I practically never eat bread nowadays.
    2. Taking a regular vitamin D3 dose
    3. Getting new carpet laid in our house and buying a really good vacuum.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    I have seasonal asthma going to try vitamin D and I heard Magnesium can help too on the cross fit forums. BUT, interesting and relevant story, my friends dad was drafted into the Vietnam war into the army so he joined the marines instead (lol) they asked him if he has any health problems and he said no. He definitely had some serious asthma and he new it and it was effecting him. But, he said that after all the running and training they did he seemed to either develop or suppress it enough that its effects were very much reduced. I don't know how true this story is, but it makes you think with training maybe you can help it.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Dedaw,

A very common cause of asthma, is animal dander. Do you have any pets?

Mrs Grizz is severely allergic to most cats, and I almost died from Asthma caused by dog dander. Had to get rid of the dog and wet vac everything in the house to get rid of his dander. Then we made the mistake years later of getting another dog, and my severe asthma came back again. Had to get rid of dog #2.

Best to you,
    Grizz

Suse is offline Senior Member
    some people can have an allergy to cats and dogs, some just cats, or just dogs. In my case, cats - definitely brings on the sneezing watery eyes etc. I am not often around cats for any length of time though to have issues with asthma. I have two dogs no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast