Thread: Steam vs. Raw page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Steam vs. Raw

Shop Now
    Just wondering if you guys had some thoughts of whether to eat vegetables raw or steamed. Will steaming vegetables make it easier to absorb?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Fried.

In Ghee..

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Cooking supposedly aids in the absorption of some vegetables like carrots and spinach. Why not do both? I eat vegetables raw, fried and occasionally steamed or roasted. I think both raw and cooked veggies each have their own unique benefits, you shouldn't eat just one or the other.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Roasted in coconut oil. Makes every vegetable delicious.

I just go with mood. I had some raw veg with lunch today (because it was easier) but cooked some veg with dinner, because it was more savory.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    A google search will bring up tons of articles...

for me, what makes sense is that the cell walls of plants are stiff and our digestive systems aren't made to break them down. Hence we're not getting ll the nutrients out of them when they're raw. Cook them (to death, my kids moan) and the cell walls are broken down and become like a "milk shake" to your system...able to just slurp up the nutrients.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Don has an article on relatve lack of nutrients in uncooked vegetables
    http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/0...ts-primal.html

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Doesn't it depend on the vegetable and the nutrients you have in mind? Some, like beta carotene (and other carotenoids?) aren't damaged by heat, so breaking down cell walls with cooking = significant net gain, at least in everything except flavour. (Aside: try cooking your carrots whole. That saves a lot of taste that's lost into the cooking water if you slice them first.) Some are destroyed by heat, so the longer you cook, the less nutritious the resultant slop.

One of these days I shall feel rich, and buy myself a Vitamax.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Doesn't it depend on the vegetable and the nutrients you have in mind?
    Definitely.
    But so you have to eat some vegetables raw some cooked and some fried.
    In India we have some very popular classic recipes which involve pureeing the vegetable and frying it in oodles of butter. I guess the recipes were designed to extract the fat soluble nutrients. Palak Paneer (spinach with cottage cheese), Sarson ka Saag (mustard leaves), and Gajar ka halwa (Carrot pudding) are some of the very popular ones.

India is a very old vegetarian society and has developed a lot of ways to extract nutrients from vegetables. We eat very few of our vegetables raw. It means that you can't get too many nutrients from eating raw vegetables.

I am pretty sure if you have to live on a highly vegetarian diet you must learn it from the traditional societies like India how they do it. Nutritionism is not going to give much mileage.