Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you guys heard of this guy? Ultra-Marathon Man - 365 days of marathons page

Balance is offline Senior Member

Have you guys heard of this guy? Ultra-Marathon Man - 365 days of marathons

Primal Fuel
    I just heard this guy talk on my local news station yesterday. He apparently ran a marathon every day for a full year. His motivation was to show that if a 49 year old can run a marathon everyday then people should easily be able to put some sort of effort towards physical fitness regularly. It seems like an almost impossible feat but he actually did it. He did get injured and for a two week period he did the marathon in a wheelchair.

I guess this guy goes well beyond "chronic cardio". I think for me it would take way more mental strength than physical. I also am curious to see what type of food he was eating on a daily basis to keep his energy levels up.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...241/story.html
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    42km in 4 hours, that's 10.5 km/hr, average walking speed is about 5km/hr so it's only barely twice the speed of a walk. It doesn't sound like he was running at the kind of intensity that would make 4 hours of it harmful, but I could be wrong.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    my buddy actually ran into him during a run, he was doing an easy pace
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Forrest Gump?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    An article about this was in my local newspaper, the grand rapids press. I believe it is because he is from here.

The demolished the previous world record which was 40 something days. This guy is nuts. He may have been going at an easy pace but it was a ridiculous feat nonetheless.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    He is actually from Belgium I believe. Also 4 hours for 26 miles isn't bad, that is less than 10 minutes per mile and to do that 365 days in a row is incredible.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    He is actually from Belgium I believe. Also 4 hours for 26 miles isn't bad, that is less than 10 minutes per mile and to do that 365 days in a row is incredible.
    Some people train for years to break a 4 hour marathon. 4 hours is 9:09 pace - thats fairly respectable. An easy pace for a guy "out on a run" sure, but someone who could run a 4 hour marathon day in and day out could probably do a well tapered marathon in around 3 hours, probably a bit less

his heart rate staying at about 100 beats a minute throughout.
    If this is true, then absolutely this is well within the definition of Low intensity movement. In fact, it barely makes it over the bottom end of the range.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

twa2w is offline Senior Member

Smile

Local fellow here in Cochrane Alberta just ran 250 marathons this past year to raise funds for the Right to Play charity. He was about 55 years old. it gets very cold here so some days he was running in -35C weather on very icy roads. His times varied between 3:15 and 4:30. About halfway through the year he started doing some 'run/walk' sections in the middle of his marathons to ease the pressure on his body to allow recovery.
    I saw him several times during and since finishin -he always looked in peak health and never rundown or tired looking.
    He says the hardest part was mental - so I guess anyone can do it with enough stick to itiveness.
    The was also a couple of young runners a few years ago who tried to run accross the country - Terry Fox - all Canadians know who he is. Steve Fonyo ran accross Canada - likley 20+ years ago - averaged better than a marathon a day with only a few days break here and there. I think his longest consecutive stretch was close to 60 days - Terry and Steve were both amputees from cancer.(Terry died before finishing from a relapse)
    Didn't Dean Karnzes do 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states a few years ago (or was that 50 weeks)
    Man was meant to move

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Didn't Dean Karnzes do 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states a few years ago
    Man was meant to move
    There have been several 50 in 50 guys...DK is just the best with self promotion.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Amazing accomplishment! My personal conception of Hell, but amazing accomplishment.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast