Thread: Heart rate during LHT? page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

Heart rate during LHT?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a relative newbie to the LHT portion of PBF, and I'm wondering about target heart rate while doing LHT. My old girlie non-PBF version of LHT would have been to hover in the corner of the gym with 3-lb dumbbells doing little tiny bicep and tricep curls and wondering why I never really gained muscle strength.

So now that I'm working on the basic LHT moves, I notice that when I'm really going for it, my heart rate is up there probably in the 75% range. If I don't take more than a very short rest between sets, then it's easy to keep my heart rate pumping for my entire LHT session, which is generally 20 - 30 minutes. Is that a good goal of LHT is to keep your heart rate going? I would assume it's fine, but that might just be my CW brain chiming in.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about your heart rate for LHT. Just rest as required to be able to attempt the next movement. I know my heart starts pumping hard but have not had any problems. On the other hand, when I was taking 6g of fish oil a day doing pushups sometimes brought on a headache. One of the reasons I stopped the fish oil
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    sometimes it feels like my hearts gonna burst from my chest, but then i sit down and do a spot check on my HR and it's usually no more than 70%
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe