Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phyto-oestrogens in beer ... page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Phyto-oestrogens in beer ...

Primal Fuel
    ... apparently.

This is new to me.

According a book I stumbled upon at Amazon, hops, and hence beer, have phyto-oestrogens in them. This comes tied up in a rather crazy conspiracy theory about "them" trying to stop "us" having sex. But FWIW here it is:

From the Author

... Beer moved into a new dimension in ancient Europe where those ancient brewers learned to ferment herbal infusions to help heal the troubles of the human condition. Little known is that many of these herbal fermentations were also highly inebriating and sexually stimulating. In reaction the protestant reformists fought for 250 years to pass laws forcing beers to use only hops as an herbal additive. And hops has [sic] unique medicinal effects - it puts the drinker to sleep and dulls sexual drive in men. In fact there is a well-known condition in England called Brewer's droop referring to the inability of men to achieve erection from too much hops ingestion. And hops does [sic] contain phytoestrogens [sic] that work remarkably well in hormone replacement therapy for women in menopause. As I researched this book this whole incredible world of fermentation came alive in ways I did not expect.
    Here's the link.

Now in point of fact the reformers were hardly trying to put a stop to natural functions - although, like most pre-modern people, I'm sure they thought there were appropriate and inappropriate ways to go about it. In fact, they seem to have wanted a bit more of it, being anxious that priests should be allowed to marry.

In truth, why hops caught on was because they allow the brewer to make a weaker beer, because of their preservative properties. (And even after hopped beer came in, people brewing at home still made stronger unhopped ale. If there are no hops, it must be stronger - unless drunk pretty much immediately.) What I suspect is that once hops became well-established people began to quote "pass laws forcing beers to use only hops" unquote - because once people were used to hopped beer then other bittering and flavouring agents would begin to be seen as cheapeners and adulterants.

Interestingly, while hops, presumably intended for brewing beer, have been found in Viking Age England - so they go back a fair way - they seem to have had a precarious foothold until quite recently in England. In the sixteenth century, Andrew Boorde was writing that beer was a drink for Dutchmen, but an Englishman must have ale!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Boorde

But enough of the history.

Those phyto-osetrogens ... it seems that hops do have them:

http://www.google.com/search?&rls=en...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Now I suspect that "brewers droop" is probably down to over-ingestion of alcohol. Nevertheless, there's an interesting story buried in here. I doubt men in beer-drinking countries - Germany, Czechoslovakia, Britain and Ireland, etc. - are markedly more effeminate on the whole than those in wine drinking countries, like France and Italy. And they seem to have been able to get it up enough to reproduce over many generations. Still and all, perhaps it would be better for anyone who did have problems in that direction to choose to beers with a low hopping rate or drink wine or cider instead! ...

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of the estrogenic effects of beer before, that being the reason it leads to manboobs and a beer gut.

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    And beer is supposed to be manly?!! b wahahahaa

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Real men pass on the beer.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Real men pass on the beer
    I guess that makes me a fake man because I'm not going to pass on the occasional dark and delicious beer.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I guess that makes me a fake man because I'm not going to pass on the occasional dark and delicious beer.
    Maybe if you wish upon a star you can be a REAL man!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad my husband doesn't use much hops in his beer! He should make more Scotch ales. He bitters those with coriander, instead.

canio6 Guest

You and me both.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    You and me both.
    They're usually not as hoppy as the paler beers. We pretty much only make browns, porters and stouts along with Scottish and Belgian ales. The Scottish style has no hop at all and the rest are pretty lightly hopped.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's why real men(and women) drink whiskey. I prefer Jameson myself. I will have a Guinness now and again though.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast