Thread: Overtraining for a newbie? page

kas1118 is offline Junior Member

Overtraining for a newbie?

Shop Now
    I am just coming across this post; I am new at Paleo (just a few weeks in) in addition to joining Crossfit for the same time frame. I am having a problem and I'm not sure it's overtraining or just soreness...basically when I started Crossfit a few weeks ago I did a basic warmup of pullups, pushups, dips, etc and I did fine, 10 of each (all Rx except pullup, which I use the band) for two sets as a warmup. However, since that first day, although my pullups, dips and everything else have improved, I have not been able to complete even one Rx pushup. Like I said, the first day I was fine, but since then whenever I assume the position my arms just give out. Meanwhile all else is improving! For the first few days I just thought it was soreness, but it's been weeks now and I no longer feel sore. I just don't get it. Any thoughts?

For the record, I went to Crossfit my first week Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat, then MWF since then.
    Last edited by kas1118; 02-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    If you are strong enough to do a set of 10 pulls ups, I have no idea how you wouldn't be able to do a push up.

Otherwise, do knee push ups untill you can do normal ones. Simple progresssion. Also check out Grease the Grove method. It works wonders for body weight exercises.

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    You are just getting into the swing of things. Crossfit is demanding and for the next while you'll feel sore and such untill your body can actually cope with it. I dont think its over training..OT is nasty..I suffered from it.

Try to rest and recover as much as you can. Eat a PWO meal saying your only starting off and make sure your eating enough that will keep you going and enough thats going to aid recovery. Get enough sleep as your body needs to repair itself. Get a good cool down stretch after your WOD, working on the areas that really need it (http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/).

I use the band to help with pullups, so I can't totally do one unassisted. The height I'm getting (I'm even going down a band) are improving, though.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    "basically when I started Crossfit a few weeks ago I did a basic warmup of pullups, pushups, dips, etc and I did fine, 10 of each (Rx) for two sets as a warmup...However... since that first day, although my pullups, dips and everything else have improved, I have not been able to complete even one Rx pushup"

1.) Band pull ups are not RX
    2.) I am to understand that when you first started Crossfit you did two sets of 10 strict pushups (Rx), but now cannot do a single one?

Whaa?
    ad astra per aspera

My bad. You're right about the Rx. And yes, that's the problem.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea why you could do 10 strict push ups three weeks ago but now cannot do one. Additionally if you can do 10 ring dips you should be able to do one standard push up.
    ad astra per aspera