Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plateau--Feedback appreciated! page

NKatz is offline Member

Plateau--Feedback appreciated!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,
    I've been primal for a bit over a month, and my results have been nothing short of stellar. I've lost 13 pounds, and I feel great. The thing is, my weight loss has pretty much halted over the last two weeks or so, and I'm wondering if this could have something to do with my diet, and I'd love some feedback.

Breakfast is usually bacon & eggs, lox, or 2x a week or so I'll have a coconut, eggwhite powder, and fruit shake. This is the only fruit I eat all week.

Lunch is almost always a huge salad w/ greens, olives, avocados, tomatoes or peppers, and either sardines, eggs, or turkey. Occasionally I'll have a meat and veggie soup instead of a salad.

If I need a snack, it's typically half an avocado, meat, or some olives.

Dinner is your typical meat and veggies...occasionally some sweet potatoes. Once a week or so I have a cup of brown rice, and maybe once a week or so I have some black beans or lentils, but the portions are very tiny when I do indulge.

For treats, I have either a bit of organic 85% cocoa chocolate or a glass of red wine.

That's it. I don't really do much dairy. Sometimes I'll have a little sheep or goat cheese, but not on a regular basis, and I don't really do nuts or nut butters either.

As a bit of context, I have a six month old baby, so I am breastfeeding, and my sleep is a bit interrupted. Also, exercise has been pretty minimal. I work full time, so I squeeze kettlebell moves in when I can and squats and what not, but it's far from a formal fitness routine. Also, I'm not sure if my water intake has been up-to snuff.

What tweaks do you guys suggest? Should I cut some things out of my diet (if so, what?)? Try IF? Drink more water? What?

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated!

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    These are my thoughts, and they aren't gospel or anything, just what I would try...

1-quit the beans and rice. Even a little on occasion can slow you down. If it's worth it to you to lose way slower, then eat them, if not, cut it!
    2-are you eating enough? Breastfeeding a babe (congrats btw!) is a priority to your body. If you aren't eating enough your body is going to try to conserve every fat store it can for that kiddo.
    3- I personally wouldn't IF with a breastfeeding 6 month old. After a year or two, maybe but at 6 months I wouldn't mess with that.
    4- Do you go for walks? Either on your own or with your little one (a sling is great for this too, happy baby and extra weight to carry!) I would add some walking in. I realize you are busy, but even a 10-15 minute walk after dinner every night will help your sleep and your hormonal response. You may find that alone will jump start you!

Like I said, I wouldn't try to majorly IF, but as long as you listen to your body, you could certainly cut off eating a little earlier at night. Say, eat dinner, go for your 15 minute walk and then switch to hot tea (or tea with coconut oil, which is what I would recommend)for the evening.

HTH!

denise is offline Senior Member
    thats not a plateau - its a "pause for breath"!!!

Primal just over a month, 13lbs lost, and 2 of those weeks you "stalled"? FAR too early IMO to start "cutting things out".

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Relax! This is normal and since you are breastfeeding you really want to listen to your body. Only suggest you eat white rice instead of brown (fewer phytates--less toxic) and drop the legumes, if you can--but def not essential!

Uncledave is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    thats not a plateau - its a "pause for breath". Primal just over a month, 13lbs lost, and 2 of those weeks you "stalled"? FAR too early IMO to start "cutting things out".
    That's my thought too. Not that it's necessarily a bad idea to cut the rice and beans, but doing it primarily because of the stall in losing weight is overreacting in my opinion.
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought, weight loss may have stalled but that doesn't necessarily mean you have stopped losing body fat Scales are tricky I've found - have you taken body measurements or anything?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You haven't stalled. To lose 13lbs in a month is a big shock to the body, and your body really controls the number you see on the scale.

When the body begins to 'resist' loss [which it views as a negative--it's being diminished], it can fill empty fat cells with water temporarily (hoping that the fat will return). Eventually, it is forced to dump that water, but, in the meantime, it appears as though you weigh the same because the water is heavier than the fat you're losing. Your loss will pick up again soon.

Don't tinker with anything. It is very, very common to have a 'pause' at this time in weight loss.

If someone isn't losing weight at the rate they want to, it's a problem....no matter what the experts here think. :-)

If your not losing weight fast enough, cut out all the starchy carbs, and don't snack. You can always re-introduce that stuff back in when you're at your goal weight.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    If someone isn't losing weight at the rate they want to, it's a problem....no matter what the experts here think. :-)

If your not losing weight fast enough, cut out all the starchy carbs, and don't snack. You can always re-introduce that stuff back in when you're at your goal weight.
    Not very smart advice for a nursing mom.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    You sound like you are doing well. If you aren't already doing it, try cooking your food in coconut oil. It can sometimes help break a stall.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast