Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Haircuts page

dzaia2 is offline Junior Member

Primal Haircuts

What do you think is the most primal haircut? Been trying to grow my hair to make dreads not sure how good they would look on me though or how professional they would look for an aspiring engineer trying to get an internship. Post pics of haircuts you think are primal!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think if you *look* primal at most engineering interviews, you'll put yourself at a disadvantage and are less likely to be hired. If you want to be your authentic self, that might be a price you are OK paying. If you really really really want to get hired, you're probably going to need to look conventional. So no dreads.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I think if you *look* primal at most engineering interviews, you'll put yourself at a disadvantage and are less likely to be hired. If you want to be your authentic self, that might be a price you are OK paying. If you really really really want to get hired, you're probably going to need to look conventional. So no dreads.
    yeah. Engineering in general tends to be a conservative field (Even out here in hippie Oregon, the engineers are pretty buttoned up - I'm one, so is my dh). Right now there is a job shortage meaning heavy competition. You walk into an interview at 95% of the companies out there with dreads (and VFF's?) and they won't hear a word you say.

Besides, I dont think there is such a thing as a primal haircut. You can say that any haircut that doesn't require extensive chemicals ot maintain is essentially primal (i.e. no perms, nothing that takes a can of Aquanet). Anything else, there is nothing ANTI primal about scissors. This goes along with medical care and cars and oh wait...computers. So I think you have to ask yourself if you want dreads because YOU want dreads or because you are trying to make a "primal statement"

MTA: and primal or not, I am coloring my hair today. But at least it's "vegetable dye" so I can pretend it's chemical free.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Dreads really won't get you hired unless you are working in a start-up call center with a bunch of hippies as owners or as a clerk in a gas station(even that is a stretch). You wouldn't be hired as an engineer with dreads. Good luck.
    Georgette

Dylan1965 is offline Junior Member
    yea ive done the long hair thing in my college days, but now in almost mid 20s it is time to be professional no matter what your profession is, right now my hair is the shortests its been in ages but before i kept kind of a shag going, but still well groomed and maintained, usually.

you wouldnt walk around dressed like grok would you? or simulate his grooming behaviors, so theres no reason to imitate what his hair may have been. (if you want to do the dreads do it for a month or so, get it out of your system but then let it go)

kitana is offline Senior Member
    *shrugs* I'm an engineer at a Fortune 100 company and so is teh husband (who has hair halfway to his @ss, but he keeps it clean and braided). My company is fairly conservative in some respects, but I can honestly say that I can't think of a single hiring manager here that would blink at your dreads if you could ace the interview (and I'm speaking for the technical side, not the business side of the org). At teh husband's place of employment it would actually be a plus.

As a rule of thumb - if you have the mad skillz to back it up, they're 'eccentric' and you can pull it off. But if your skills are not up to par - they will make a negative reaction more so. You might want to prove yourself first.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Besides, I dont think there is such a thing as a primal haircut. You can say that any haircut that doesn't require extensive chemicals ot maintain is essentially primal (i.e. no perms, nothing that takes a can of Aquanet). Anything else, there is nothing ANTI primal about scissors. This goes along with medical care and cars and oh wait...computers. So I think you have to ask yourself if you want dreads because YOU want dreads or because you are trying to make a "primal statement"
    This is what I was thinking. I don't color my hair or get any other sorts of chemical treatments. I don't use gels or sprays to style my hair (I do still use shampoo and conditioner but that's just preference). I purposely chose a style that I don't have to blow-dry. All I've gotta do is towel it off and comb it while it's wet, brush it a couple times a day while it's dry, and throw it into a ponytail for comfort when I'm working out. Seems primal enough to me. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Whether dreadlocks are acceptable depends on a lot of factors, including not only the workplace culture, but also how tidy the locks are, as well as how the wearer carries him/herself. Here in Philly, I've worked with a lot of professional African-Americans who have locks, but they keep them very neat. I haven't worked with any white people with locks. I see them around my neighborhood, but given all the tattoos I doubt that many of them work in professional fields. When my husband still had locks, he always tightened them up and pulled them back for job interviews and never had a problem - but then again, we both work in the nonprofit sector so YMMV.

As for what constitutes a "primal haircut"... I personally consider the inventions of scissors, soap, and pomade to be positive developments in human history.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

FlyNavy is offline Member
    Freshly shorn is always an option. Kinda depends on what shape of skull you were granted though. Think of it as a solar panel for making vitamin D.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lol there's no such thing as a primal haircut. The only thing remotely close would be not cutting your hair I suppose.

Personally, I'm more into the nutrition and fitness aspects of a primal lifestyle, not too interested in never washing my hair again or NOT styling my hair the way that I like it. I like to throw some shit on my hair before I step out the door so that I look presentable, and also, it makes my girl want to have sex with me (at random, but certainly welcomed intervals) so I'm not about to risk that by going 'primal' on my hair and letting it be all smelly and messy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast