Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar addiction or perhaps it's Fructose to blame - discuss! page

Kelda is offline Senior Member

Sugar addiction or perhaps it's Fructose to blame - discuss!

Shop Now
    Following the various bits about sugar addiction in the threads in the last few days I chanced upon this link from Art De Vany's Forum.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...tes-revis.html

Very interesting take. What strikes me is the effect and potential toxicity of fructose. It can cause the kind of liver disease seen in alcohol addiction.

So whilst out on my bike this morning I had a light bulb moment (I often find this happens; something about methodically turning the pedals over allows the brain to make connections!).

We know sugar is addictive for some. We also know that is true of alcohol.

Sugar (sucrose) is one part glucose, one part fructose ... the fructose has to be processed in the liver, alcohol is processed in the liver, both can create liver disease. What occurred to me is this - may be the addiction is to fructose as opposed to the glucose element and the liver has some part in triggering this?

If this were to be the case offering advice to those needing a sugar hit to have a little fruit to satisfy the sweet tooth may be like offering the drunk a nice shot of Whiskey.

Discuss!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

lizch is offline Senior Member
    The whole anti-fructose thing doesn't sit well with me. Seems hard to fathom why we would evolve to the point where eating fruit (which plants intentionally make tasty and sweet to persuade animals to eat them and spread the seeds) would be toxic to us.

I just wonder if fructose is going to be the new demon child, like dietary cholesterol was (still is?!)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

kandc88 is offline Member
    If you have not seen this you will enjoy it, I think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Love panu too!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Dr. Harris' stance that our bodies were never designed to deal with the volume of fructose presented by most modern fruit.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that a fair number of my early 30s raw vegan/vegetarian friends who eat lots of fruit seem to have much older looking skin than their primal counterparts--a sign of glycation, perhaps?

Fortunately, I have difficulty digesting more than the amount of fructose in a handful of berries (I bloat horribly), so I avoid fruit and keep my sugar to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I agree with Dr. Harris' stance that our bodies were never designed to deal with the volume of fructose presented by most modern fruit.
    Yes, that makes sense. Particularly all year round. I have to think Grok had opportunities to gorge on fructose, but only sporadically.

To me, though, there's a big difference between toxicity and over-doing it on something non-toxic. Something that is toxic is (ignoring homeopathy!) bad for you in any quantity and I would want to avoid all exposure to it. Something that you can eat too much of is something that I am willing to eat in moderation.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. Particularly all year round. I have to think Grok had opportunities to gorge on fructose, but only sporadically.

To me, though, there's a big difference between toxicity and over-doing it on something non-toxic. Something that is toxic is (ignoring homeopathy!) bad for you in any quantity and I would want to avoid all exposure to it. Something that you can eat too much of is something that I am willing to eat in moderation.
    I agree! Unfortunately, fructose moderation for you may be different from what your body can actually handle safely, KWIM? What if an apple is too much for your body?

aktres is offline Senior Member

Wouldn't I get some signs, though, if 1 apple was too much?

(By the way, this is all just hypothetical....I actually have never been much of a fruit eater, and the only fruits I eat now are berries, and only maybe once a week.)
    Liz.

Not necessarily. Think of how many symptoms only show up after a long period of time--like Type II diabetes, Alzheimers, heart disease...

From a blog comment response by Dr. Harris: "Eating more than about 15 g of fructose (30 g of sucrose) a day is a very bad idea."

Sorry--my example wasn't the best! An apple has about 6 grams of fructose, a cup of blueberries about 7, and a banana about 7. So you are OK by his criteria!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I can't eat fruit, it messes with my blood sugar and triggers sugar cravings. First it's an apple, then it's a ton pf pineapple, next thing it's a chocolate bar and then Haagen Dazs lol. It also gives me the same symptoms I get from eat refined sucrose. Fluid retention, inflammatory issues etc.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast