Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women’s Fitness Magazines Are Bullshit page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

Women’s Fitness Magazines Are Bullshit

I really liked this post from Jezebel today, ripping apart the women's "fitness" magazines like Self and Shape and though their criticisms are coming at it from a feminist viewpoint, a lot of it resonates with me as someone who is embracing Primal eating and exercise for true strength, nourishment, and power.

It's happened so quickly and soundlessly that we didn't even realize it was happening, but words like "fitness" and "health" have become dog whistle terms that imply "thinness" and "dieting." Nowhere in the Women's Fitness Magazine definition of "health" is there room for real strength, unless it's a quarter page of lip service paid to a female body builder who is, I don't know, sharing her tips for avoiding breakfast pastry cravings and fitting in her workouts between dates and shoe shopping.
    I particularly liked how they call these magazines out for a complete lack of focus on true fitness and strength in women, when their real emphasis is on fitting us all into a particular body mold. No, thank you.

The final paragraphs will resonate with my fellow Primal gals, I think (emphasis mine).

Women's fitness magazines are packaged and sold as an alternative to the sex obsessed man pleasing tips of the Cosmos of the world, but they're the same shit in a different package. They're still telling us that the way to be happy is to be conventionally attractive and thin and firm and toned, to occupy the socially acceptable amount of space. They're not about pleasing yourself; they're about pleasing others, and their suggestion that they're anything beyond that is insulting and condescending. Where's the magazine that promises to help you squat 150 pounds by June? Where's the guide to starting your own football league? Where's the secret to eating foods that will satisfy you after pounding out a 10 mile half marathon training run?

These magazines are lying to us, and they're expecting us to be okay with it, to keep buying and to keep accepting their assumption that when they say "fit," we hear "thin." We're smarter than that, and we should stop rewarding them with our patronage.
    Last edited by ennasirk; 02-08-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read a women's magazine since I was like 17, unless it's floating around the bathroom of someone else's house. I'm amazed they can come up with that much crap to publish every month. Who has fifty bucks a month to blow on a tube of designer lipstick? Who really believes the "things men looooove about your hairstyle" article?

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikesubtitles View Post
    I haven't read a women's magazine since I was like 17, unless it's floating around the bathroom of someone else's house. I'm amazed they can come up with that much crap to publish every month. Who has fifty bucks a month to blow on a tube of designer lipstick? Who really believes the "things men looooove about your hairstyle" article?
    Yeah, I don't read those either (the Cosmo, Glamour type magazine). This article is focusing more on the ones that claim to be a more substantive alternative to those magazines (but are really just the same thing with a different "focus.")

Is it any wonder I only subscribe to The Economist, Mental Floss, and Entertainment Weekly? Even at my dentist's office I'm more likely to pick up People over Glamour.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Love it! Thanks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Woot! Bon Appetite and Popular Science come to this girls house! I actually read the Men`s Health at the hair salon today. lol Junk nutritional advice, but I learned some new tips for my pull up challenge!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Thinking I should start a PaleoCrossfitGrrrl magazine. That'd so rock. Articles on peak performance, health, nutrition, actually getting fit for doing stuff, and gear that is functional and funky. No pink. And real life models with no silicone allowed.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    Thinking I should start a PaleoCrossfitGrrrl magazine. That'd so rock. Articles on peak performance, health, nutrition, actually getting fit for doing stuff, and gear that is functional and funky. No pink. And real life models with no silicone allowed.
    I think that's a sensational idea! I would definitely subscribe.

I bought a copy of Australian Women's Health and Fitness the other week and it made me furious! It was all low-fat this and lean-protein that and cardio and do 5000 sets of 300 reps lifting a pencil for 'toned' muscles. It really made me wanna puke.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    At least Men's Health has some nice eyecandy. Who wants to look at a magazine full of over made-up barbies?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    please please do this!

but can you make it online as i am in the uk and postage would be a problem!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast