Thread: Do-Over in Adulthood page

LadyDuke is offline Junior Member

Do-Over in Adulthood

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking for about a week now and finally joined.

I'm 25, 2 kids, former athlete. I've been primal for almost 3 weeks now.

I finally took the plunge and started again. I grew up eating pretty close to primal. My step-mom had severe candida and thrush problems, so we were low-carb, no grain, no sugars, no dairy for a very long time. I loved the way I felt. I played several sports in high school (swim team, dive team, and boys varsity football!), and never had the energy problems my teammates did.

Enter adulthood and buying my own groceries: We still ate fairly healthy in this house. We stayed away from most processed foods. We ate a lot of meat and vegetables. But, enter a chaotic, fast-paced lifestyle and I very quickly found myself addicted to soda. After that, it went downhill for about 2 years. The kids still ate immaculately (we're both anal about that - me from my upbringing on healthy food and high activity, and my partner from his upbringing weighing in at 300 lbs at age 14), but the adults were eating crap.

So, I took the plunge back into my childhood habits, and returned to my old ways. I was sick of feeling like crap, and sick of getting weaker and weaker. I used to be able to lift heavy, daily (requirement of being the only girl playing boys football: I had to be able to lift as much as the weakest guy on the team). I set up our free weights all over the house (no excuses!), and went full-blown grocery shopping.

I had a WICKED caffeine and sugar withdrawal, lasting almost 3 days of being completely bedridden, feverish, complete with the sweat and shakes. But now I feel fantastic. I have boundless energy all day, my skin cleared up, my lifts have increased... all positive!

So, sorry about the novel! But I'm very, very happy to be here!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    No need to apologize. Great to hear that you are back on track!!!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Welcome LadyDuke!

Good job on pushing through the sugar/caffeine DTs, that's the hardest part over with

May I say that I really respect how you kept your kids healthy even when you weren't doing so great yourselves.

LadyDuke is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the welcomes!

Yeah, I'm pretty anal about what the kids eat - I have a choice to be in poor health, they don't get that choice. But now it's time to start taking care of myself as well, so I can keep up with them!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member