Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for a newbie? page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Help for a newbie?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was wondering if you all might have some suggestions/experiences to share with me. I've been trying to eat Primal for just about a week now. About 2-3 weeks before that I tried cutting out gluten because of basically constant GI problems (wish I had tried it 20 years ago!). I couldn't believe how much it helped! Stumbled across PB a few weeks later and decided to give it a try. The first week was great - felt good, was eating a bit less than normal but not hungry as a result. I'm down about 1-2 lbs but 3+ lb fluctuations in my weight are normal. And then this evening the munchies just would not quit. I really thought that maybe low carb-ish (<100g/day subtracting fiber) was helping with the evening need for something crunchy and carby. This might be a stupid question but so much of the stuff I read is about "never being hungry" "no cravings"... etc etc. For us mere mortals is there still some mental strength required here? Tonight the almond butter won

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's normal. Eat fat and the cravings will go away over a few weeks. I like coconut manna or cheese. Bacon works, too!

Nuts are way too addictive and have too much Omega 6 & phytotoxins. One or two handfuls a week or 1-2 TBSP a week is plenty, IMO.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    B a c o n
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

I have to be honest with you here, the cravings for sweet stuff that you once enjoyed never truly go away. The Primal diet does help with decreased appetite, and I really love all the food choices.....but after a year of avoiding all the sweet nasties, I still crave them all the time. Every day, I find myself fighting the urge to visit the local vending machine to purchase a candy bar.

The difference is, that I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt, that giving in to those cravings is something I should not and usually will not do. In the past, if I've given in to my cravings in a moment of weakness, I've felt terrible about being so weak.

"Bad" food tastes great. That's the way it is. You just have to find a way to deal with it.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    I have to be honest with you here, the cravings for sweet stuff that you once enjoyed never truly go away.
    They might. I don't crave sweets anymore.

Gordo

Loco Moco is offline Member
    it's probably just carb withdrawal. i know a lot of people go through it here, and it can take weeks to clear up. some days, you feel great, and then others, all you want to do is curl up with a bag of chips and graze on junk food all day. but i don't think chalking it up to "lack of willpower" is enough - sometimes there's not enough willpower in the world to get you through a snack attack, and the subsequent emotional roller-coaster when you "fail" isn't healthy, IMO.

i've heard here before that sometimes, cravings stem from a lack of some nutrient in your diet, and that until you get up to whatever optimum level (of say, vitamin c or iodine or w/e), you'll keep getting cravings. i don't know how valid this theory is, but maybe it would help getting more variety in your diet or a good multivitamin, to cover all your bases. i think that might be better than saying "just eat a little of what you're craving", since that could totally backfire. sorry i can't be more helpful!

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    + 1 - if yr craving crabs and sweet things at night fry up some bacon in coconut oil or similar -

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Ron Rosedale talks about a 3-4 week transition period from sugar metabolism to fat metabolism. His book suggests avoiding saturated fats during this transition period since you're trying to train your body to burn its own saturated fat stores. But, his book is also geared towards the more metabolically deranged, too. I like the bacon suggestions from the other responses.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    I have to be honest with you here, the cravings for sweet stuff that you once enjoyed never truly go away. The Primal diet does help with decreased appetite, and I really love all the food choices.....but after a year of avoiding all the sweet nasties, I still crave them all the time. Every day, I find myself fighting the urge to visit the local vending machine to purchase a candy bar.
    Mine don't go away in an intellectual sense, but at least they go away in a physical sense. I can still desire and enjoy the experience of a sweet, non-primal treat (especially if it is in the ice cream family) from time to time, but as long as I have it rarely and in moderation, I can keep the crazy compulsive overeating cravings from being a part of my life. For me, anyway, even if I cut out the sweet stuff, my brain never really says "Nah, that's no longer tempting" but at least my body isn't fighting with my brain every step of the way with physical, addictive cravings and the brain can win the argument with logic (or on very rare occasions it can say "Okay, today we are going to enjoy that treat.")
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    possibly i meant carbs and not "crabs" lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast