Thread: Substitutes for exercises? page

peacheater is offline Member

Substitutes for exercises?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I've been following Rachel Cosgrove's Female Body Breakthrough Workout plan for a month now and have been seeing great results. The workouts consist of 2-3 days strength training per week for the first month and then add additional days for short high intensity interval training workouts in subsequent months. Each month the workouts change.
    Unfortunately two of the exercises for the second month involve a Swiss ball, which my gym doesn't have . They are the Prone Jackknife and Supinated Hip Extension with Leg Curl . I could buy a Swiss ball for home and do the exercises there but would prefer to do my entire workout at the gym in the order suggested. Could anyone suggest exercises that would have approximately the same benefits as these exercises? I'm rather new to all this stuff and would greatly appreciate the help!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    for the jackknife, you could throw your legs up on a bench and walk your arms in so that you do a crunch. it will likely be harder, particularly on your arms and shoulders, but a similar exercise. pretty sure that is an ab exercise though, and doing a plank is as good as anything else.

for the hip extension, it says it works hamstrings, abs, quads and glutes...there is no exercise that works those muscles better than the squat, IMO. but, you could also substitute a bridge pretty easily also.

Thanks primalrob! I'll give your suggestions a try the next time I'm at the gym.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    The supinated hip extension is a killer hamstring move...more hamstring intensive than the squat. I think the one-legged pelvic thrust is probably a bit closer.....let me see if I can find a linky

Ahh no. Well. its kind of a bridge with your feet on a step and one foot straight in the air then raise and lower your pelvis. Think of hammering a nail into the ceiling with the heel of the upright leg.

Without the ball I would probably just do planks. Its the unstableness that makes it a different exercise.
    Last edited by runnergal; 02-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

sillysarah is offline Member
    Oh, how I love that woman. It was great to have read her book going into strength training as a newbie. Now I feel like I have the knowledge to build my own workouts and whatnot.
    Check out BodyRockTV http://www.bodyrock.tv/ for some awesome and intense workouts and creative movements. This girl is my role model. Finally, gorgeous involves muscle!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Oh...I remembered during tap oddly the substitute for jackknife. Plank hands and feet, bring right knee to armpit and back, bring left knee to armpit and back. 1/2 jackknife.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Ooh thanks runnergal -- I think I'll do your 1/2 jackknife as a substitute for the jackknife and one-legged pelvic thrusts as a substitute for SHELC. Actually had been doing one-legged pelvic thrusts the previous month as per her program so that might be too easy.

@silysarah -- Isn't she awesome?! I love how she just quickly tells you what to do and makes the incomprehensible seem comprehensible so quickly. Now I feel prepared to pick up the New Rules of Lifting for Women or other strength training books, or read posts on the fitness forums and things actually make sense! Hadn't expected to feel that way one month in.

kandc88 is offline Member
    I love boyrock.tv too! Since I'm already bored with the primal blueprint fitness routine I'm ready to change it up, but still get in a speedy workout. I'll be saving the primal blueprint routine for when I have access to nothing (minus pull-ups) and am away from home and sometimes to just check progress. I've read Rachael Cosgrove's book too, there are a lot of good ideas, not a fan of the diet, big surprise.

Also same situation not for the diet, but for the exercise ideas you might want to check out Body for Life. Probably can get it at the library or used cheap. Also another source you may not have thought of is an app. I lost all my apps and don't remember which fitness one I had off the top of my head, but read reviews and you can find one with exercises listed by muscle groups for cheap, plus you'll have it with you, probably. Gosh, just thought of one more, look up turbulance training, there are some good exercises there too!
    Last edited by kandc88; 02-09-2011 at 07:44 AM.