Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain Function page

Kit Rivers is offline Senior Member

Brain Function

Primal Fuel
    Over the last 5 years or so I have been suffering from what my children delightfully call NDD or 'Noun Deficiency Disorder'. I have been to the doctor, who just put it down to getting older (I am 48!) and said it wasn't serious because I know what the item was, i just couldn't remember its name.

This led to interesting conversations like "could you get me the errr....ummm....they are in the end drawer of the table and i need them to cut this coupon out."
    "Scissors, mum" says the nearest child, handing them to me.
    "Thank you darling, now could you put these coupons in the err....ummm...its by my bed...errr..."
    "Coupon box?" puts in child helpfully.

As for learning peoples names......aaagggghhhhh......most days I would struggle to remember the kids! Introducing people was a nightmare. The worst time was meeting a friend of at least 10 years standing, and with whom I had had lunch only the previous day. I was in the mall with another friend and I went to introduce them to each other....and i couldn't remember EITHER of their names.

Anyhow I have noticed less NDD over the past 3 weeks...but also a corresponding desire to use my brain. I did not do well in school (too much time truanting ) but I have just signed up for a Maths course with the NZ correspondence school, and have decided to undertake a Great Books reading programme. I have started with The Epic of Gilgamesh....the oldest known writing, and I am on tablet 7 of 12. Next I move to Homer and the Iliad and the Odyssey.

And this is the woman who a month ago could not remember what the wardrobe was called.

I have heard of people having boundless energy on PB, but not about increased brain power. My family, needless to say, find it all hilarious.

Paleobird Guest
    I found PB because of a seizure disorder so I have done a lot of research into the neurology of this diet. If you imagine the neural pathways as electrical wiring, fat is the body's black plastic coating on the outside of the wires. In very fat poor diets, when there is wear and tear damage to neural pathways, you don't have enough fat to patch up that sheathing on the outside so the electrical impulses can go astray, in your case forgetfulness, in my case, epilepsy.

As they say, if you don't use it you lose it. Sounds like you are using it well. Have you tried sudoku puzzles? I find them a delightful way to keep the old gray matter ticking over.

This is fascinating Paleobird. As an obese woman I have ben on a number of very low fat diets....eg 'Stop the Insanity' and similar.

So has it helped your epilepsy?

Have you got links to the research you have done? And could this be a factor in, say, Alzheimer's?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have something similar, Kit. The technical word is anomia. My husband is used to finishing what i'm trying to say because I can't find the damn word. I have an entire dictionary up there, but for some reason the word gets lost between pictoral memory and linguistic memory (or that's how it feels.) Mine's actually gotten worse over time (even with PB) and I have no clue why. I'm not even 26 yet! I'm thinknig it's kind of a mental stutter, at least in my case.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I have an entire dictionary up there, but for some reason the word gets lost between pictoral memory and linguistic memory (or that's how it feels.) Mine's actually gotten worse over time (even with PB) and I have no clue why. I'm not even 26 yet! I'm thinknig it's kind of a mental stutter, at least in my case.
    Yes...pictorial memory...thats it exactly! One could DRAW the item but not actually say the word. I'm interested in it having a name, I shall look it up. I wonder why mine has improved and yours has not. There has to be a reason. Something in the soil, some mineral that the animal ingests and we reap the benefit?

Here's a bounceoff point for it, Kit.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomia
    There's several journal links there. I'm curious to see if there's something I can do to bring my dictionary back closer to the surface.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I do know that I keep craving selenium and choline rich foods. I'm reasonably certain that the selenium foods are due to my thyroid, but choline is a brain chemical, related to raw processing ability. I'm wondering if I may just be low on that. It's not something you can supplement (brain blood boundary and such), but you can eat foods containing it. Now I'm curious.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Selenium is interesting as there is none at all in NZ soils, and since finding that out, about 2 months before going Primal, I started eating 3 Brazil nuts a day to compensate.

Choline, I have not heard of but quickly googled it to find it is rich in egg yolk....I food I never ate much before going primal (fat, bad for your heart....), but now I eat up to 4 eggs a day.

Someone recommended L-Glutamine supplements to me but I never got around to trying them.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rivers View Post
    This is fascinating Paleobird. As an obese woman I have ben on a number of very low fat diets....eg 'Stop the Insanity' and similar.

So has it helped your epilepsy?

Have you got links to the research you have done? And could this be a factor in, say, Alzheimer's?
    Yep, all that fat phobia probably did some damage.

I have my seizures under good control on meds. What I am hoping to do after a while on PB is to be able to back off on the dosages a bit. I don't like the long term side effects for liver and kidneys of excess chemicals.

There has been extensive research done on ketogenic diets for seizure control in children for years but recently Johns Hopkins has been having some excellent results in adults as well. If you google "ketogenic diet and Johns Hopkins" you will find it. They use something they call "the Modified Atkins Diet" which is Atkins modified to have less carbs, more fat, and more protein. My only quarrel with Atkins is all the fake shakes and bars you supposedly need. I was looking for an all natural alternative to this approach when I net stumbled on the PB.

I am not an expert on Alzheimer's but intuitively, I would say yes, this really could be a factor.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My daughter has apraxia - a motor-planning disorder that affects speech. She is so much better now, but didn't have any words that we could understand until she was three (none. not even "no"). She "talked" all time, and you knew she was telling you something. Somewhere between the brain and the mouth, things got messed up. I can't seem to get her totally off the carbs, but I try to give her lots of fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast