Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat Snacks page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Meat Snacks

Primal Fuel
    So, I'm trying to wean myself off of nuts as a regular snack (because I'm lousy at controlling how many of them I eat - my current addiction is macadamia nuts). I am doing VLC right now and I have a lot of weight to lose. I don't really want to do cheese or raw vegetables and certainly not fruit. Jerky seems an obvious choice, but I don't have a good source of *clean* jerky and I only have so much patience for something that requires that much chewing.

Any suggestions for a high protein and/or fat snack that's fairly portable and not likely to rot in my pocket?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Chicken wings, sardines, smoked oysters,pemmican come to mind. Also, You didn't mention if the nuts were raw and unsalted; I find I won't eat that many plain macadamias. We evolved to crave salt almost as much as sugar/starch. Also,you cam make your own jerky that is not so tough or dry-- just don't add the sugar. Wellnessmeats.com is great source for grassfed meat snacks.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Hardboild eggs are good as long as you don't forget about them. Cooked bacon in a baggie? Maybe make some pemmican?

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Wild-caught salmon and tuna jerky (sometimes called "candy"). Some of the hot smoked fish varieties would not be easy to eat on the go, but the harder/drier jerky kind would work.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

handgallop is offline Member
    I've been getting little packets of tuna packed in olive oil that are quite tasty and filling snacks Not sure how OK you are with big food operations like Starkist, but I'm finding that is one of my favorite go-tos for snacking now (actually I like them as dinner. I eat mostly in the morning and early afternoon, and like a small bit of something at night, they fit right in).

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handgallop View Post
    I've been getting little packets of tuna packed in olive oil that are quite tasty and filling snacks Not sure how OK you are with big food operations like Starkist, but I'm finding that is one of my favorite go-tos for snacking now (actually I like them as dinner. I eat mostly in the morning and early afternoon, and like a small bit of something at night, they fit right in).
    I bet that would be awesome with a little celery if you wanted to break it up a bit, too.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm trying to kick my nut habit too. pepperonis and hard salami sticks have been helpful for me.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Wait - why are people trying to get off of nuts? Is there something wrong with nuts? Enlighten me...

I always have one or two pre-cooked BBQ chickens from the grocery store in my fridge, and will carve off a few pieces of it when I need a quick n meaty snack. I read somewhere else that the salmon patties from Costco make kind of a yummy hand-held protein snack that, once cooked, can be refrigerated and eaten cold.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinC View Post
    Wait - why are people trying to get off of nuts? Is there something wrong with nuts? Enlighten me...
    i'm not going off nuts completely, just for 30 days (well, 10 more). there's nothing wrong with them...i just eat too many, and i'm trying to get ahold of my craving. i was doing the same thing with dairy...cheese is my weakness...but fell off the wagon. i'll cut it out when i reintroduce nuts.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Bacon! It's my jerky alternative--not so chewy and self-limiting (for me, anyway!) due to the salt/fat. Worth getting some good stuff online if you can't find it locally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast