Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is it possible to lose inches without weight? page

How is it possible to lose inches without weight?

Primal Fuel
    I'm fairly smart and I still can't figure this out.

I've lost, literally, like 5 pounds in three weeks. I'm okay with that. I feel it is acceptable. Before going primal (3 weeks or so ago) I had lost 55 pounds just exercising and stuff. It was mostly baby weight.

What continues to elude me though...is that I only lost five pounds...yet i dropped two pants sizes. And seemingly, will continue to drop pant sizes.

So how does that happen? I mean, I don't work out all that much. I run 2-4 times a week, and lift 1-2 times a week. I thought muscle gain was slow. Could I be gaining muscle at the same rate that I lose fat? Like, the EXACT SAME RATE?

That seems weird. One would think that if I was dropping sizes I would also be dropping weight?

peacheater is offline Member
    I think part of it may be that clothing size changes are not linear. For me for example, I've lost about 50 lbs so far (on a combination of low carb dieting + primal for the past month or so). It seemed to take forever for me to go down to a size 14 from a size 16 and a size 12 from a size 14. But now I seem to be losing a clothing size or two ever 8 lbs. I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in only the last ten lbs or so. If you think about it, this makes sense in terms of a toilet paper roll: when you have a huge new roll, a few sheets don't really make much difference to the size of the roll. But when you're down to the end of the roll, taking a few sheets can dramatically decrease the size of the roll. So maybe you're at that last of the toilet paper stage? That plus because of your exercise, that 5 lbs loss might correspond to a significantly great fat loss of course.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    one of the big reasons you're losing size is that you are tightening things up, losing fat (which doesn't weigh much), and building muscle...plus dropping whatever water you may have been retaining can seriously affect your size.
    i say relish in your shrinking. weight isn't nearly an important as body composition.

Paleobird Guest
    Ketogenic diets like this tend to target specifically belly fat. That may have to do with the pants getting baggy.

also check out this post by the inimitable Batty : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...
    Last edited by Paleobird; 02-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ketogenic diets like this tend to target specifically belly fat. That may have to do with the pants getting baggy.

also check out this post by the inimitable Batty : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...
    I have never heard anything credible about "targeting belly fat" or any type of fat targeting, sorry. Can you point me to where you learned about this? I'm curious. My understanding is that our fat cells have different amounts of receptors depending on where they are located, so "stubborn fat" are the cells that are the first to take in fat and the last to lose it, by your bodys design. On me, that's in my gut area and I had a little beer belly even when I was a skinny guy.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I have never heard anything credible about "targeting belly fat" or any type of fat targeting, sorry. Can you point me to where you learned about this? I'm curious. My understanding is that our fat cells have different amounts of receptors depending on where they are located, so "stubborn fat" are the cells that are the first to take in fat and the last to lose it, by your bodys design. On me, that's in my gut area and I had a little beer belly even when I was a skinny guy.
    Diet Evolution by Dr. Stephen Gundry. In the first phase, it is very similar to PB and I lost 30 lbs like falling off a log. Then, the latter phases transition you away from protein until your life becomes one big salad with maybe a handful of nuts on top. That's when it stopped working for me.
    Dr. Gundry is a cardiac surgeon and the book is very well researched. He talked about ketosis specifically targeting belly fat first because that is the body's short term storage spot. The padding on the rear is long term storage and is more stubborn.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    fwiw i started primal with a biggish belly, legs and thighs - im a bloke by the way
    circa 240 lbs in Oct and now closer to say 212
    im down 4 belt sizes (ie waist) but in my new clothes my legs are still tight
    ie im losing more at waist than butt/thighs
    observational evidence in favour of paleobrids hypothesis

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Some of it could also be losing excess glycogen stores.

I'd go with the "losing fat and putting on muscle" theory for most of the effect. Muscle is much denser than fat: a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. Bonus: muscle tends not to stick out annoyingly.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    even CW states that diets higher in refined carbohydrates and sugars tend to store belly fat and vs. versa.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    even CW states that diets higher in refined carbohydrates and sugars tend to store belly fat and vs. versa.
    Yep, they don't call it a beer belly for nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast