Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else throwing things at the TV while biggest loser is on?? page

denise is offline Senior Member

anyone else throwing things at the TV while biggest loser is on??

Primal Fuel
    in the UK we are approaching the end of the series. I watch it every week - it's "car crash tv", horrible but I can't not look.

My husband laughs at me as I rave at the telly, I ricochet from anger at the humilitations (filmed in skimpy gear to show every inch of flab, excess skin etc, stuff I would NEVER wear in public, even now I am what most people would describe as slim) to incredulity at the amount of hard cardio these people are doing daily on so few calories. Add to that my now increasing fury that they seem to be starved of all fats, taught appalling food and workout habits that may continue to damage them way after the weight ceases to be a problem - (IF they can resist starvation for life whilst maintaining a MASSIVE amount of exercise) - and I am incandescent with rage by the end.

All sounds right yes?? BUT do you know there is still a small voice saying "8lbs a week, for several weeks, maybe there's something in this?" and "but surely they couldn't keep saying all this so forcefully if it was all wrong?" And THAT my friends is the final insult. It propogandises CW extremes and the belief that fat people got there thru simple laziness and gluttony (the contestants frequently talk about themselves in this way) and if it can get thru to me after a couple of months of KNOWING its all wrong, what about all the other overweight viewers??

Just venting - anyone else want to join in??

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I stopped watching it. The fat-shaming is over the top. They don't deal with the underlying issues. It's been ridiculously co-opted by the diet-industrial complex. The approach is unhealthy and unsustainable. And it perpetuates the idea that people who are overweight are overweight because they're lazy slobs.

I'm all for train wreck TV, but I just can't continue to support this one.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Never seen it.
    Georgette

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Is there a British version or do y'all get our US version?

The show is frustrating but I still watch it. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Is there a British version or do y'all get our US version?

The show is frustrating but I still watch it. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes LOL
    British version - its a "format" thats been taken up in several countries. Australia have one too.

Mandolin is offline Senior Member
    One look at the sponsors makes me not want to watch.
    Results Pics:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There's an interesting three-part interview with Kai Hibbard here about what it's actually like to be on that show:

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-1-of-3/
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-2-of-3/
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-3-of-3/
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    it obviously works for them, as many do lose weight but the torture they put themselves through to do so is horrid and completely unsustainable. I wish they'd do a season trying different methods instead of the torture they go through.

I hear there's one guy who advocates a method to lose weight and get healthy that's incredibly simple, can't remember his name though...

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Oddly enough, I decided to start Primal Blueprint because of that same motivation... (the cash prize was a little too tempting, and my wife was considering a return to Atkins at the time. I decided to try this, and see how it worked instead of Atkins. She jumped on board, and here I am).

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Can't watch it. I have recently started watching Heavy on A & E, though. Still too much CW, but not as humiliating and demeaning as Biggest Loser.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast