Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis/ horrible taste in mouth page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Ketosis/ horrible taste in mouth

Primal Fuel
    So I am a week into my fruit-free whole30. Not intentionally VLC but fruit messes with my blood sugar and gives me cravings so I took it out for now. As when I started paleo last year, I have the most disgusting taste in my mouth. I imagine my breath must stink as well, dh is the type to not notice, but still.

I read that once the body adjusts to fat burning it stops overspilling ketones and the taste goes away. Is that right? Because it's disgusting! I don't like to speak when I'm at work as I am in close proximity in a care job and I don't want to kill anyone LOL.

It is bloomin good to know I am burning fat anyway. After being dependant on 3 hourly meals and snacks with wholegrain carbs and protein, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    "Assmouth," as Robb Wolf calls it, is the *only* downside of this whole thing for me.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that if I up my H2O intake it usually helps push the ketones & toxins out and diminishes that foul breath.
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

StillWild is offline Member
    Ditto for upping the water. If nothing else, it takes the taste away for a while.
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key."
    ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Diedelser is offline Member
    From me that taste go away after 2 or 3 weeks doing daily IF. So I guess is an initial stage of body adaptation

Anyway what I did to overcome it, was drinking water and chewing cloves or cinnamon sticks.
    Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

I hope so Diedelser!

I drink 5 pints of water a day so I don't think I can up that lol.

I just swilled with mouthwash but it came right back. Gah!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Drink lots of water, tea; some brush with baking soda. I am more in ketosis than not, but don't get the bad breath which I attribute to drinking a couple liters of tea, mostly green, a day. Of course, some people may be more apt to experince this side effect. Chewing on parsley is supposed to sweeten the breath, and it is primal.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Thanks. Parsley and cinnamon sticks sound worth a try. I think I'll clean my teeth before work as well, just to be on the safe side!

I got dh to smell my breath and he said it smelt slightly different from usual but not bad at all. He has a rubbish sense of smell so I won't trust that, but at least it means he doesn't think I stink!

Harold Whitman

elektro is offline Member
    It goes away after 2-3 weeks. In the mean time, brush your teeth often, drink lots of water, eat dark chocolate or fruits to cut the bad taste, and try not to talk too closely to anyone.

Supersonic is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I remember this part. It did last for about 2 weeks, progressively getting better with each and every day. To combat this I had plenty of olive oil and coconut oil which seem to freshen things up without changing my brushing habits. I can also assure you dark chocolate (100% cacao) helps tremendously as well!

After switching to Primal, my breath is fresher than ever thanks to not ingesting sugar and starchy foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast