Thread: A question for Mark...if he's watching? page

SusanB is offline Junior Member

A question for Mark...if he's watching?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Mark, I've read your book, bought the recipe book, and started today eating primal-ly. (Feedback - enjoyed the book, I've a scientific mind, which helps, and I completely believe and can identify with the insulin theories; you might consider an Anglicised version for those of us in the UK! Recipes look interesting, again UK-version would be great, considering (a) there's not a lot of bison meat around here; (b) many of the fruits, veggies and herbs have different names and (c) the only veggies in season here in Lincolnshire right now are carrots, brussel sprouts and swede! As for fruits, forget it!)
    Anyhow.... I have a problem with some of your advice: I'm a female (formerly yo-yo dieter), aged 55, weigh 243 lbs, BMI 40+, Body fat %age 33%; very sedentary (currently). So, 163 lbs lean body mass. Using your macronutrient calculations, and the Harris Benedict Formula, this gives me 0.2 x 163 = only 33g of average daily protein intake. Eek! Is there something I'm missing?
    - yeah I know - more exercise, which I will build up in time, but does this mean I need to get a massive percentage of my cals from fats? (132 cals from protein, max 400 (say) cals from carbs.....what about the rest?) Following the logic in your sample macronutrient calculations in the book, this is where I'm at.....and thats a whole lot of butter! I'm wondering whether there's different guidance for sedentary peoples? Any guidance greatly appreciated - please. Preferably nothing insulting from you fit types.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Not sure, but I think Mark and his team can't read all the posts. But probably some knowledgeable UK folks will chime in.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was 0.5-1g protein per pound lean body weight?

On the UK-US conversions, I spent my first 25 years in the UK and then moved to Seattle and have been here for 22 years. 1/4 of my cookbooks are still UK versions. So if you need any help, let me know.

Any time it says bison just use beef instead.

The climate in Seattle is much the same as Lincolnshire, so we're not exactly pulling stuff out of the ground either. Most fresh stuff is imported, often from outside the US. So if I decided to eat only local, I'd have to modify the recipes considerably too or use frozen veggies.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

greek_girl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
    Hi Mark, I've read your book, bought the recipe book, and started today eating primal-ly. (Feedback - enjoyed the book, I've a scientific mind, which helps, and I completely believe and can identify with the insulin theories; you might consider an Anglicised version for those of us in the UK! Recipes look interesting, again UK-version would be great, considering (a) there's not a lot of bison meat around here; (b) many of the fruits, veggies and herbs have different names and (c) the only veggies in season here in Lincolnshire right now are carrots, brussel sprouts and swede! As for fruits, forget it!)
    Anyhow.... I have a problem with some of your advice: I'm a female (formerly yo-yo dieter), aged 55, weigh 243 lbs, BMI 40+, Body fat %age 33%; very sedentary (currently). So, 163 lbs lean body mass. Using your macronutrient calculations, and the Harris Benedict Formula, this gives me 0.2 x 163 = only 33g of average daily protein intake. Eek! Is there something I'm missing?
    - yeah I know - more exercise, which I will build up in time, but does this mean I need to get a massive percentage of my cals from fats? (132 cals from protein, max 400 (say) cals from carbs.....what about the rest?) Following the logic in your sample macronutrient calculations in the book, this is where I'm at.....and thats a whole lot of butter! I'm wondering whether there's different guidance for sedentary peoples? Any guidance greatly appreciated - please. Preferably nothing insulting from you fit types.
    Hi Susan,

You need to be eating 0.8 -1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean mass so that is 163 grams of protein. Even if you are sedentary my opinion is to eat at least 1 gram per pound to feel satieted.

SusanB is offline Junior Member
    Hi greek_girl, thanks for your reply. I was going according to the book, where Mark says to multiply your lean body mass by a factor (taken from the Harris Benedict Formula) which is itself based upon your activity levels. According to the formula, Sedentary=0.2. So you're supposed to multiply your leav body mass by that factor...which gives me 33g of protein daily....I'm hoping someone can advise. Clearly I need to up my activity level, but thats not gonna happen overnight - especially whilst I'm trying to get into fat-burning, and feeling quite weak just now. (and no, I haven't been sticking to only 33g of protein, don't worry!)

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Ok, the Harris Benedict Formula is used to derive an estimate of the calories you need to eat IN ADDITION TO YOUR Basal Metabolic Rate. It's page 263 in my Nookbook, which should correlate to the same page in the regular book.

The HB Formula is for the additional calories you burn when you're active, NOT for protein.

The book just multiplies pounds lean mass by a factor between .7 and 1.0 in its calculations for daily protein intake. In the summary on pg. 284, it says that adequate protein intake is between .7 and 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, depending on activity level.
    Last edited by Twibble; 02-08-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly