Thread: I was thinking of majoring in nutrition, but i need some advice...(long post) page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

I was thinking of majoring in nutrition, but i need some advice...(long post)

Shop Now
    Hey guys. My name is Jimmy i'm 19 and in my fourth semester of school at SUNY Farmingdale. Right now i'm just taking the Gen Ed stuff. For a while I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but figured being in school would be better than just working.

This past year I've been really into eating healthy and cooking and all that. Whenever i'm online i'm looking at this site or other blogs. Problem is I really don't understand the science behing this (or any) WOE.

So me and 2 of my friends were planning on transferign up to SUNY Plattsburg next year. I was looking through the undergraduate book and saw they have a Nutrition Major. That really clicked for me. It combined my intrest in nutrition with my love of food into something I figured would pay the bills. I figured any kinda science has money in it. But even besides the money, I sort of want to be on the frontlines of new nutrition research and ideas. I wanna help people too.

I work in a supermarket, and you know how much I bite my tounge when I see an overweight person with whole wheat bread, WW muffins, diet soda, and fat free snacks reach for the gallon of fat free milk? ( I never say anyhting though I feel like that'd be rude...)

But anyway I was feelin pretty goddam good about myself. I felt like I had direction you know? Felt like i was gonna make a difference in the world....Until I saw this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...r-in-Nutrition

That shit kept me up til 4am last night. Basicly it says that not only is there no money or jobs for someone with a degree in Nutrition, but that the whole time CW is shoved down your throat. And when you do get that degree, if you want to give nutrtional advice to people you're under the eye of the USDA and can potentially loose your job preaching anything other than CW....

WTF? I thought college was where people study and develope NEW ideas and challenge the old ones. This crap is no different than highschool. I think in this world people should ALWAYS be questioning things....

Look even if WE are wrong, I want to be able to know exactly WHY we are wrong, you know?

I'm not gonna lie i'm an Ex-Stoner, so when a majority group prevents the new, sometimes radical ideas of a minority group from being considered, it strikes a nerve with me.

I want to understand HOW a vitamin or a carb or this or that effects the body. I want an UNBIASED understanding our metabolism and how everything works. I want to be able to back up this WOE with science.

So, with the above in mind, what do you guys think I should do? There are other BIO majors at Plattsburg that might be more what i'm looking for:

-Biology Major
    -Biochemestry Major (sounds like what I might be looking for, but not sure)
    -Cytotechnology (not exactly sure what this is)
    -Medical Technology

I was thinking maybe i can pick my major from one of those while Minoring in Nutrition....

But what do you guys think? Should I move on and let the rest of the world handle this one? I'm really not intrested in much else Science wise. Somone in that other topic reccomended going into another field like being an Ultrasound Technition or something, but I find it's easier to stay motivated and do well in school when your passionate about what your studying...

callherpetrol is offline Member
    i would suggest biology or biochemistry (a lot of biology majors also decide to take biochem classes) plus getting a phd in nutrition in order to do research

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    But what do you guys think? Should I move on and let the rest of the world handle this one? I'm really not intrested in much else Science wise. Somone in that other topic reccomended going into another field like being an Ultrasound Technition or something, but I find it's easier to stay motivated and do well in school when your passionate about what your studying...
    Go with biochem. It's the area where you'll be able to do the most research and change the most minds, over time.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

i have a friend who has the same interest as you.

long story short (i got kids waiting for lunch)...

he majored i human biology to learn SCIENCE. now he's getting his doctorate in nutrition. Post-Bac work is WAY MORE FLEXIBLE than Bac. work. You work on a thesis of your choosing and are encouraged to do your own research. plus...he knows a crapload more about the human body than just a plain old nutritionist.

once he's done with his phd he will work in a research capacity at a university.

doesn't help ppl directly...but he will be contributing to the science that brings primal to the masses.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions. i can ask him for you.