Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to derail temptation: My best advice. page

Griff is offline Senior Member

How to derail temptation: My best advice.

Primal Fuel
    I wish I could give everyone here a gift - my wheat and gluten allergy.

Stay with me on this - I'll explain.

I have seen so many posts lately saying "How do I deal with temptation??" or "I'm binging on sweets!" and I think - well, if it weren't for the immediate and painful (and long-lasting - up to three days!) reaction I get when I eat wheat or gluten, I might be posting those as well. But it's amazing how big of a deterrent that level of pain, swelling, and stiffness really is. I don't ever, ever want to go there again.

So I don't even see sweets or grainy foods as food anymore. I just see them as "this is the stuff that makes me hurt like wow, and no thank you!" It's almost a visceral reaction. And it makes it really, really easy to not even consider eating those things.

This may color my responses to people who say "I just can't seem to stop eating cookies" or "I still have bread/pasta/cake". For me, it's just a no-brainer: wheat=AGONY, and why would I do that to myself?

I wish I could give everyone here who's struggling that same wheat and gluten allergy. I know it sounds odd, but it's one of the best anti-temptation tools I have in my arsenal.

But since I can't give you guys that tool, here's what might work almost as well: visualization.

Robert Schuller reported that he lost weight by visualizing unsterile, unsanitary conditions in the Twinkie and Little Debbie factories - people returning to work after not washing their hands in the bathroom, cockroaches and other icky bugs falling into the batter, stuff like that. And it caused him the same kind of visceral reaction I'm talking about when he saw those frankenfoods. And it worked. So that's my suggestion to the folks who don't have my luck to have a wheat allergy - imagine the grossest prep conditions you can possibly imagine in the factories that produce those frankenfoods. If you do it right, and often enough, you'll stop thinking of them as food.

Anyone else have a "best advice" for derailing temptations, for our newbies and those who are struggling?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

aktres is offline Senior Member
    There are two separate issues we all need to keep in mind. One is insulin response/resistance, the other is inflammation. I think the focus is often on glucose/insulin and what our limits are there, ignoring the inflammation issues brought on by wheat and other grains.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I guess it's kind of akin to what Griff said, but mentally repeating the phrase "I'd as soon drink sludge from the toxic waste pipe" has really helped stiffen my spine on occasion -- especially when truly noxious things like birthday cake at the office are involved.
    Last edited by PrairieProf; 02-07-2011 at 10:39 AM.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    "Is it REALLY worth it?" Is it worth being set back for however many days? Is it worth the physical and mental pain? Is it worth the abdominal discomfort? Is it something you'd be willing to report to someone else as having eaten?
    Also, this is one case where I DO let my imagination run wild. Hence, that chocolate cake at the office turns into a stack of cowpatties, that ice cream turns into maggot cheese, that bread turns into styrofoam (seem my sig.) I wouldn't eat any of that, would you?
    I also imagine what would get done to it by a food photographer: shellac, pins, paint, styrofoam props.... not exactly what I'd want in my mouth either.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Indeed there is definitely a duality. I've been writing up all I've learned in one essay so I can keep all the ideas and references in one place and that aspect comes over time and again.

Wheat - the double whammy - inflammation/gut disturbance and immunity reduction and insulin surges. Dairy is beginning to come into that category too the more I read ... check out this link ...

http://www.canibaisereis.com/download/milk-promoter-of- chronic-diseases.pdf

I don't have a problem with temptation either Griff, in fact like you I simply don't see those items as food any more, and as Art DV put it, just heaps of brown! For me I have told myself I am allergic, and I am, because eating them caused me bipolar, not eating them and I am recovered. I never want to go back to feeling suicidal ever again and although I miss some of the manic high adrenaline rushes I don't miss regretting all the mad stuff I did whilst on them ... put it this way it's a good job Mr Grok is such a wonderful man!

In fact 14 months in and I'm discovering how wonderful it can be to live life restfully and at a pace that allows things to unfold at their own speed. Quite delicious, way more than any pastry ever was.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    After seeing my weight loss, a lot of people have asked me about the diet and started their own. My advice to them is don't get hungry (at least at first). Eat fat, eat when you're hungry, and keep approved foods nearby. The hungrier you are the worse the temptations will be.

Of course coming from a Marine background my real answer is suck it up, use a little bit of willpower and move on.

Lmans77 is offline Member
    I've obviously been rolling this around in my head due to my other post.

Many times I hear "just keep going, don't feel guilty"...for me that is license to do it again. I think in my head, guilt actually helps prevent future lapses. lol. I do tend to be a guilt ridden person...maybe its not a good thing, maybe it is..a psychology lesson for another day. But because of that, it does help me make good choices. For all the times I have falled to temptation, there have been many times over the past month that I have not. That's I've not eaten the office birthday cake, snacked on the bread basket at dinner, not driven through McDonalds and realized how good, phsycially and psychologicaly, I feel by eating this way.

So yeah, I try and learn from each fail.

Somes I do wish I had an allergy. I do try and imagine the inflammation caused by the grains and gluten. It works..most times

Digby is offline Senior Member
    The key is having a positive view of the benefits of primal vs a deprivation mindset. If we think, consciously or subconsciously, that we are unfortunate, deprived of our goodies, then wandering off the path is inevitable. Griff, your health issues clarified this beyond question, and in that I agree you are lucky. It took me a while to move out of the deprivation thinking, but now it is easy. A friend said he thinks of his food like his money, either he is investng wisely or throwing good after bad; he is banking on good health. As a person in my sixties I can assure you that is wisdom.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Robert Schuller reported that he lost weight by visualizing unsterile, unsanitary conditions in the Twinkie and Little Debbie factories - people returning to work after not washing their hands in the bathroom, cockroaches and other icky bugs falling into the batter, stuff like that. And it caused him the same kind of visceral reaction I'm talking about when he saw those frankenfoods. And it worked. So that's my suggestion to the folks who don't have my luck to have a wheat allergy - imagine the grossest prep conditions you can possibly imagine in the factories that produce those frankenfoods. If you do it right, and often enough, you'll stop thinking of them as food.
    I think that's an excellent visualization to use, Griff. I find for me, its the fear of insulin spikes that keeps me from eating certain foods. Plus, now some foods are just looking unappetizing as hell. I've actually told my co-workers that if they were to get a cake for my birthday next month, don't expect me to have any.
    Georgette

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    EXCELLENT POST, Griff.

I, too, am lucky(?) in that there are BIG ramifications in my poor body if I eat grains and sugar. I'm not kidding when I say I get so inflamed that I can't even put my own socks on. I hurt. I really, really hurt. And my face puffs up like a drunk after a 3-day bender. Even the shape of my nose changes.

I had a helluva time getting off the McDonald's french fries. I was seriously addicted to them. If you gave me the choice of a large chocolate cake all to myself or a small order of McDonald's french fries, I would knock you to the ground trying to get to the fries. I was able to kick it by doing exactly what you suggest. I visualized the thing that grosses me out the most (cigarette butts and ashtrays) and thought of wiping out the ashtrays with the fries and then stuffing that ashy filth into my mouth. Guess what? It worked.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast