Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: How to derail temptation: My best advice. page 9

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not TL, but I think some folks are so imbalanced (many of us probably) that supplementation is by far the simplest, most effective and fastest way to remedy this. (Although making the dietary changes is most likely quite important to do at the same time as supping. The supps, from my reading, will make the dietary changes much more feasible and sustainable for folks with issues.) From my online reading it seems folks like Julia Ross say you should be able to wean off much of your supplementation after things balance out and get what you need from diet (like you mentioned getting the AA from meat).

You can go on the diet cure site and take a quiz to see if there are supps that might be helpful for you. http://www.dietcure.com/Questionnairea.html I personally find playing around with AA supplementation fun and not something I'm worried about as I'd be getting them from food anyway. (I'd prefer to get what I need from food alone but if it will help me quicker to use supps as well, I'll totally go with that and just wean off the supps when ready/needed.)
    Last edited by FairyRae; 02-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, TL & FR, for the very helpful responses!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Robin:
    I am talking about Michael Murray, ND, who wrote THE book on 5-HTP:
    http://www.amazon.com/5-HTP-Natural-...7363256&sr=1-1

I am not familiar with that other book, although one of the things that 5-HTP does naturally is inhibit hunger.

The book above has totally changed my life. Now it is changing my best friend's life (an exercise bulimic), too.

Sure, feel free to PM me anytime.
    (I'm about to get off this computer and go exercise, though.)

Ginger
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Yeah--I'm working on getting the supps and balancing what is right for me (using info from the book _Depression free Naturally_ and stuff on Julia Ross' site.) I'm already noticing positive changes, and if I experience the positive effects that TigerLily has, I'll be sure to share that!

Also, I've never felt that I was dealing with depression--just some imbalance issues including bulimia and binge eating disorder issues, along with some other random things. The Depression Free Naturally book goes into tons of stuff not related to depression (and I'm sure Julia Ross' work does as well). I've also found her recs helpful for my son who is dealing with food sensitivity issues and esp. for his anger/agressive stuff. Taking a specific amino acid blend has seemed to make an enormous positive impact on his temperment in general which has been wild to see--and fast. Some folks think he's acting like a totally different kid (in a positive way--just more patient, less easily frustrated, and far less agressive/violent etc--awesome!) I'm a total believer in the power of AA supplemenation and just working on finding the perfect balance for me!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

FairyRae: I posted this morning on another thread, but Julia Ross is going to be on Underground Wellness soon. This will be her third time. The two previous interviews can be found on iTunes. Just search on iTunes for Underground Wellness and then scroll down a bit. Her first interview is way down at the bottom, as she was one of the first guests with UW launched.

I have heard very good things about "Depression Free Naturally" and the reviews are excellent, but I have not read it. I'm of the mind "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've *finally* found what works for me (!), so I'm not keen on fiddling with it.

FairyRae, I am just thrilled that you and your boy are finding relief as well. Makes me so happy inside I just wanna shout from the rooftops (or stand on the street corner and hand out books to passersby.) I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I feel like I've hit the lottery. It is surreal.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think it's both the problem and a symptom. Snacking just begets more snacking. Like others have said, it leads you to think about food constantly which is not a good thing. It also alters your body chemistry according to the source I quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I think frequent snacking is a symptom of the problem, not so much a cause. JMO, FWIW! The better my diet gets, the less I care about eating between meals. Even IF'ing becomes nearly second nature.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    FairyRae, I am just thrilled that you and your boy are finding relief as well. Makes me so happy inside I just wanna shout from the rooftops (or stand on the street corner and hand out books to passersby.) I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I feel like I've hit the lottery. It is surreal.
    I'm very interested in trying the 5-HTP. I've found lots of success using AAs for raising dopamine levels--or dealing with some of the symptoms of what I think is low dopamine and histamine (something I was concerned about for multiple reasons in myself, and utilizing the ideas in the _Depression Free, Naturally_ book) and am now wanting to deal with the cravings issues, which I've never *not* had, which were reawakened full force after my whole30 (I think because I rehashed old feelings of guilt about food.) I think I'm still not in that place of freedom that you describe--its still a struggle for me at times--whether its eating too much fruit or nuts etc instead of cookies--its still binge eating, and its still carb craving! Anyway, that's my next step, and I'll totally let you know how it works for me!
    My Before/After Pics

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    1. 35% of people with bipolar disorder are obese. This is the highest percentage for any psychiatric illness.
    2. People with bipolar disorder are 3 times more likely to develop diabetes than are members of the general population.
    3. People with bipolar disorder are 1.5 - 2 times more likely to die from conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and stroke.

Now they frame that as having bipolar is the problem, but I read it (with my new found knowledge) as, bipolar is just another metabolic disorder caused by the wrong diet. All the rest flows from the fact you have a metabolic disorder one facet of which is bipolar!
    Last I looked, almost EVERY drug to treat mania and bipolar depression has INSULIN RESISTANCE as a side effect. Right there on the package. They admit this, yet never counsel these folks to stop eating grains and sugar :/ No wonder they are more obese, sickly and likely to die from those diseases. DUH!!!!

Kelda is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    When I began taking 5-HTP and amino acids, a la Dr. Michael Murray and Julia Ross, everything -- all the years of struggle, meticulous planning and record-keeping, self-loathing for not being able to stop bingeing/being "weak", extreme dieting -- completely went away in one fell swoop, like a magic eraser. Then I knew it has nothing to do with willpower and everything to do with biochemistry. All one must do is give the brain what it needs (and was getting from bingeing) -- serotonin and dopamine.

I now have zero cravings, zero struggle, my food is super clean, and it is so easy that it actually makes me mad.
    Primal eating - cold turkey - cured my bipolar and that was ALL about the imbalance of serotonin and dopamine due to the insulin load, it is a physiological/biochemical issue, nothing to do with will power! The relief for me knowing it wasn't 'all in my head' or 'lack of will power' was HUGE. I'm still feeling the wonder now nearly a year on. It just gets better and better.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast