Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to derail temptation: My best advice. page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    Of course coming from a Marine background my real answer is suck it up, use a little bit of willpower and move on.
    I am so glad I am not the only one around here who feels this way. (And I am not military in any way.) I think this forum can, if we are not careful, degenerate in to a mutual coddling society in which everyone keeps telling each other, "It's not your fault. It's OK to slip up. Don't feel bad, etc." What we really need to be, IMO, is to be a mutual butt kicking society in which we keep each other on track and honest. It all comes down to this : How badly do you want it? Whatever "it" may be for you, the smaller dress size, the great beach bod, the ability to get off of statins, BP meds etc. We know this plan works. We know what we have to do.

Not everybody has a debilitating allergy to keep them in line but everyone is capable of closing the fridge door and walking away. Like a couple of miles away. Quit whinging folks. (OK I am going to go duck now to avoid getting flamed.)

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not everybody has a debilitating allergy to keep them in line but everyone is capable of closing the fridge door and walking away. Like a couple of miles away. Quit whinging folks. (OK I am going to go duck now to avoid getting flamed.)
    Yep I'm with you on this. At the end of the day no one but YOU can make the changes and stick to them. There are lots of people here that bend over backwards to be helpful and pass on tips and advice but there are also those 'poor me' types that just have an excuse for every bit of advice.

Once you understand the science it's all down to will power to make the changes ... Mr Grok is military and they have the phrase 'man up'! Can't see Grok whinging he just got on with it. If he hadn't we wouldn't be here with the ability to moan!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    I gave in to temptation for the first time in a long while yesterday. I had the delicious rolls at Stoney River steakhouse, followed by chocolate cake (it was my husband's birthday) and then to top it all off, I thought "while I'm at it, I guess I'll have a Dr. Pepper too"

BIG DAMN MISTAKE

I ended up waking up at 2 AM with a racing heart, and I rushed into the bathroom to vomit. The puke was disgustingly SWEET bleeeeeh. Then I had diarrhea. I went back to bed SURE in the knowledge that at the very least, I will NEVER drink soda again, and will find it muuuuuch easier to resist chocolate cake and rolls. Arrrgh.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Been thinking about this last few days, so thanks Griff for raising it.

Like Griff I have no problem with temptation. But also like Griff it is easy for me because the threat to my life is very present for me. I had a major heart attack. The drugs I was prescribed were debilitating. This left me with no choice but to take my health into my own hands if I was to enjoy a good quality of life. Have discovered this way of life, there can be no question of backsliding. None

For those of you who haven't had such an immediate experience with the dangers of an inflammatory lifestyle (as others have posted, inflammation is the key) you have a choice. You can learn from the experiences of others or hope you are resistant to inflammation or survive its consequences.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    There are two separate issues we all need to keep in mind. One is insulin response/resistance, the other is inflammation. I think the focus is often on glucose/insulin and what our limits are there, ignoring the inflammation issues brought on by wheat and other grains.
    +1

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I've never been tested, but I am most likely celiac. I get the heartburn from hell and freeze if I accidentally eat a LITTLE bit of gluten. Yet, I've been craving Pizza Hut's bread sticks so badly I even plugged number into my cell phone so I could call them when I get off work. It's deleted now, but I still want to go get them. I don't know why I've been craving them so badly the last few days, but I am.

Just having symptoms from hell afterwards is NOT enough to guarantee someone won't do it anyways.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    For the 'man up' crowd, have you ever experienced turning away from something tempting, only to be called back by an internal voice, and have that scenario repeat itself every 3-4 minutes for the next four hours? An hour after every meal, for your whole life?

You have to break the carbohydrate addiction (if you have one) before will power can come into play. We've done whole threads on this in the past; I don't think we need to go there again.

Once the addiction is broken (and this is simple, but almost no one knows how to do it), you can use a normal level of will power to say no to the temptation once or twice in an extended period of time, and 'man up' works perfectly fine.

Anyway, I was joining this thread to say, "Right on, Griff!" I wasn't blessed to have those severe reactions, and for the longest time I prayed to have some kind of reaction that would make the time between eating and reacting (which at the time was limited to weight gain) would be shorter. It took years, but it finally happened. Part of it was just my body no longer tolerating the abuse as well as it used to, but part of it was something as simple as a food journal.

Not the kind where you write down stuff and feel guilty & horrible about it, but the kind where you just write food amounts, time of day, and any physical or emotional reactions. I finally started to see that if I didn't have enough protein for lunch, I was a raging banshee by 6:15, or that I was bloated and grumpy most of the time. I started taking out suspected culprits. Once the sugar was out (and it took time), so many symptoms were gone or diminished that I could more clearly see connections to other foods. Once the grains were out, it became VERY clear. If I ate grains only once a week instead of every meal, I could easily see how it made me bloated & grumpy.

Now, a few years later, I'm to the point where I have ONE bite of wheat and I can feel the difference it makes in bloating. Nothing horrible, but the time elapsed between food & reaction is so close that when I look at those foods, I can actually immediately think "No, I do NOT want that reaction!"

I certainly don't want it to take several years for everyone. If I could go back in time and advise myself, I'd say, "Increase fat dramatically, have at least 4oz of protein with 3 meals a day, remove all sweets & grains that *don't* really tempt you, then try to kick sugar. You'll fall, but keep a journal and watch how you react when you do. Within a few days or weeks, you'll be able to see something that tempts you and pretty quickly know & call to mind the reaction you can expect." At least, I think I would, lol. That'd be a pretty good way to instill some of the benefits of "Griff's gift" in someone who doesn't have it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    For me it's more about feeling positive. I feel so great when I have a basket full of gorgeous fresh produce, or sit down to a colorful plate of veggies and a lovely piece of meat. It's shifting my attitude to thinking about how good this stuff tastes and how good it is for my body - sickly sweet things are less and less attractive to me - sugar is such a one-dimensional taste. Though I guess there is an element of looking at those sugar-coated doughnuts as though they were plastic (which is what they look like).

Also I'm saving up for a trip, so when I resist the temptation of a drive-thru, $5 goes in the jar!
    If weíre not supposed to eat animals, how come theyíre made out of meat? Tom Snyder

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    at the wedding i went to on friday (it's tuesday now), it was a 'bring a vegetarian main dish to share!' for the reception. to drink -- lemonaide (sugar) and some sort of orange soda thing (more sugar). i just about had a coma from one little cup (i didn't realize what it was, honestly, until it was in my cup). then, i was getting water from the little kitchen in the corner all night. they did actually have chicken there, but everything else was -- rice, rice, some rice, some quinoa, and some rice, and veggie lasagna. i was very hungry, so i had some chicken, the rice-bean-veggie-avocado-greens salad. and then i also had cake. it was lovely cake.

i felt *horrid* and have been jittery since. bloated feeling (though not looking like it), and i knew i would. lol i even ate a huge lunch and brought a primal snack, but as weddings normally go, this was was running late, and i was *hungry*. so, i ate. not a lot, mind you, but enough to make me feel yucky.

so, there we are. i had that feeling when we had toast for the first time after being primal for about 4-5 weeks. amazing.

i have no issue with the willpower side of things, but i'm not addicted. (and i know i'm not). it's just habitual. now, i'm in new habits.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    I have to say fortunately, I'm not familiar with addictive cravings. Maybe it's a personality thing, maybe it's a genetic thing, maybe it's just a personal experience and luck thing. Either way, I find it pretty easy to do or not do what I want.

It's also kind of hard to miss mashed potatoes when I know I can have another steak instead.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast