Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can or should one eat the skin on a chicken? page

girlsgotrhythm is offline Junior Member

Can or should one eat the skin on a chicken?

Primal Fuel
    I have always eaten skinless chicken breast, thinking that of course it is prudent to remove the skin and all that extra fat. The other night, I picked up a rotisserie chicken and went ahead and ate the skin without removing it from the pieces I carved. I figured this was likely more of the Primal approach so I went for it. And I surely was sated afterwards! However, insomuch as that DOES add a significant amount of more calories, should I not do it (in the future) for weight loss?

It felt good though, was a relief, and gave me a glimmer of hope after I finsihed reading The Primal Blueprint, how I wouldn't need to concern myself with calorie counting and maybe even being able to up my fats a bit. But did I take it too far? By the way, I LOVE the skin on a chicken!

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Eat the skin.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    If you need to ask that, I suggest re-reading the book...

girlsgotrhythm is offline Junior Member
    Ok Primal Fist, I getcha. Touche. I kinda second guessed myself a bit there.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    That was a little bristly, forgive me. Eat the skin and enjoy it. If you're not eating bread/cakes/pasta etc etc, it will make no difference, save for the effect on your taste buds.

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Yes you can eat the skin, but you should only do it if you want the chicken breast to taste real good!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I don't know . . . I would have said yes along with everyone else, but there have been a number of discussions recently (I'm forgetting exactly on whch blog or forum) about how unbelievably high in Omega 6 chicken is -- and of course the skin has more fat than any other part. It seems like some people are beginning to question whether we should even eat chicken at all very often. That feels like too extreme a position for me (eat meat, vegetables, etc., but now we're supposed to only eat some kinds of meat?? -- that's getting awfully restrictive). But I'm at least considering that limiting skin and eating more largely fat-free chicken breasts (with safe fat added) might not be a good idea.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I have read many places that the rotisserie chickens are the store are injected w/a sugar solution and/or rubbed with seasoning containing sugar. It would not surprise me in the least. So I 'd think the chicken skin you prepare yourself would be a much safer bet, primally speaking. I roasted one yesterday and rubbed a mixture of pastured butter, chopped rosemary , sea salt and cracked pepper in the bird and under the skin. Heaven.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlsgotrhythm View Post
    I have always eaten skinless chicken breast, thinking that of course it is prudent to remove the skin and all that extra fat. The other night, I picked up a rotisserie chicken and went ahead and ate the skin without removing it from the pieces I carved. I figured this was likely more of the Primal approach so I went for it. And I surely was sated afterwards! However, insomuch as that DOES add a significant amount of more calories, should I not do it (in the future) for weight loss?

It felt good though, was a relief, and gave me a glimmer of hope after I finsihed reading The Primal Blueprint, how I wouldn't need to concern myself with calorie counting and maybe even being able to up my fats a bit. But did I take it too far? By the way, I LOVE the skin on a chicken!
    *headdesk* Have you read Mark's book? Have you read the "for newbies" sticky thread here on the forums? Calories are not the issue. The type of calories you're eating are the issue.

EAT THE FAT. EAT THE SKIN (as long as you haven't breaded it!). They are good for you. You will lose more weight eating enough fat (including chicken skin) than you will trying to choke down dry, skinless chicken breast.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast