Thread: Chinese New Year - off the wagon. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Chinese New Year - off the wagon.

Primal Fuel
    So yesterday I was invited to a Chinese New Year party at my favourite Chinese restaurant - 12 people there, food and wine free.

Well, almost all of the first courses were dumplings or had pastry - wheat! Pancakes with duck - I only had one of those.

Delicious food, way too much wine and today I don't feel great. But I don't feel as if one day off the wagon will harm me long term and I shall have a booze free week to make up for it.

Should I have been more strong willed and missed out any grain foods and not drunk wine??!!! Or enjoyed the meal - which I did - and put up with feeling lousy today?

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    I'd say the Chinese have been drinking 'jiu' and eating wheat products for the best part of 5000 years or so.
    They seem to be thriving.
    Free booze is allways worth feeling lousy for..

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Should I have been more strong willed and missed out any grain foods and not drunk wine??!!! Or enjoyed the meal - which I did - and put up with feeling lousy today?
    Only you can answer that for yourself. I'm feeling a little lousy today and very bloated - I'm up 2 1/2 lbs from yesterday, which I know is mostly water weight, but still - from drinking a bunch of wine and eating past the point of fullness during the Super Bowl. I'm about to go out and sweat some of it out, but it's enough to make me question whether drinking at all is really worth it for me right now if I want to achieve my health goals. I probably won't go and say "never again" but it's making me realize I'll probably reach for the water more than the alcohol during my week in Reno (with a partying crowd) next week, but I think I'll have a better time overall if I feel better.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    I'll probably reach for the water more than the alcohol during my week in Reno (with a partying crowd) next week, but I think I'll have a better time overall if I feel better.
    I live in Reno, do you want to meet up? If you are tracking your body weight, I would recommend taking a 10-day moving average and track that instead.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    If you are tracking your body weight, I would recommend taking a 10-day moving average and track that instead.
    Well, of course I know that if I weigh daily I also have to accept the ups and downs of daily weigh-ins (in fact I even posted a thread about it recently. But one thing I do know is that if I have more than a small amount of alcohol, it's something that throws my body off for at least a few days, and frankly, it's just not that "fun" to me anymore (and the after effects aren't worth it). It's easy enough to do when it's just me or me and my SO, but it's good to remind myself that I don't really get that much out of it when I'm in a more "party-happy" environment like I will be when I'm in Reno.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm glad you had a good time. Just don't do it too often and you should be OK.