Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Kurt Harris on VLC page

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Cool Dr. Kurt Harris on VLC

Primal Fuel
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...ketosis-i.html

Dr. Harris has changed his viewpoint on carbs and has adopted a very similar diet to PerfectHealthDiet.

Paleosphere is slowly shifting from carbophobia to a balanced approach.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Hooray!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I read that too. I wad intrigued that he put pulses ahead of fruit! I don't eat pulses now, but why are they better than fruit?

And I have started eating potato again some time ago, so I am really pleased that he thinks they are OK. I find my digestion is better with potato.

krassi is offline Member
    I think carbohydrate should vary by goals and activity level, plus current state of health.

As Dr. Harris says in his article, people who are diabetic or overweight may be better off going very low on the carbs. People who are healthy and more physically active, or trying to build muscle, could probably do with a bit more carbs in their diet.

A lot of people here seem to ignore the fact that Mark himself recommends 100-150g of carbs per day for maintenance mode!

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Is fiber intake taken into consideration in Mark's recommendation?
    Last edited by O_O; 02-07-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: to add to it

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Is fiber intake taken into consideration?
    No. Fiber does not provide glucose to the body. It only converts to fats. So fiber is not part of carbs.
    Fiber intake like carb intake should not be too hign, it is beneficial in moderation. Insoluble fiber is best avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by krassi View Post
    As Dr. Harris says in his article, people who are diabetic or overweight may be better off going very low on the carbs. [/I]
    Most people are coming from a diabetic or overweight background to the paleo world and have seen how VLC approach benefits them. This they mistake to be the best thing for all times. VLC is good only till the body moves away from a perpetual high carb state to a low carb state. Once the state is achieved, ie all excess liver and muscle glycogen is used up, then it is best to move to a middle ground, keeping a check on the glucose response.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I wad intrigued that he put pulses ahead of fruit! I don't eat pulses now, but why are they better than fruit?
    No he does not say they are better. He just lists in the order he thinks causes most problem. Probably some people eat too much fruits thinking it is good for you.
    Eliminating fruit is not a goal, but eliminating legumes is. I guess he is coming from the point of view that too much of sugar is bad for you even if it comes from fruits. Excess of fruits is worse than legumes in moderation.
    Last edited by Anand Srivastava; 02-07-2011 at 02:32 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    From blog post:

The only thing that made me change my carbohydrate intake was a dramatic increase in physical work requirement.
    That's wtf a few of us here have been saying for a while and more often than not get perpetually shut down. I think what ends up happening (that makes people gain once they up their carbs) is they over-estimate how much work output they have so they over eat IN GENERAL which leads to weight gain. I think a half a sweet potato everyday, or a full one every other day is sufficient for people that are working out more than 3x a week. I think if you're truly only engaging in deliberate physical activity twice a week with decent intensity you may just need that sweet potato (or squash, etc) on that workout day and if you're really carb-sensitive (or just are scared of carbs) you can just do half a sweet potato not a whole one.

I find it interesting that he went for a completely nutritional devoid food like toasted white rice, would seem to me he would choose something with nutrients but sometimes the geekiest paleo-heads make the oddest choices.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think a half a sweet potato everyday, or a full one every other day is sufficient for people that are working out more than 3x a week.
    A one pound sweet potato has about 300 calories of starch. When I'm working out, I like to shoot for 500-600 carb calories. I could eat two full sweet potatoes every day and meet the PB guideline. Realistically, I like variety, but potato phobia has me stumped, too. Atkins hangover, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I find it interesting that he went for a completely nutritional devoid food like toasted white rice, would seem to me he would choose something with nutrients but sometimes the geekiest paleo-heads make the oddest choices.
    My read is that he thinks the biggest benefit comes from avoiding toxins and that white rice, while not nutritious, is at least a non-toxic source of starch.

It appears that he thinks that legumes are less toxic than fructose. I'd be interested in knowing why, since we clearly evolved to handle small amounts of fructose without harm. My understanding is that the glucose/fructose ratio common in fruit is optimal for liver conversion efficiency. I generally eat fruit for my post workout refueling for that very reason. Have I misunderstood things?

Gordo

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast