Thread: Season Affective Disorder page

aktres is offline Senior Member

Season Affective Disorder

Primal Fuel
    The other SAD. Anyone else seeing a big difference this winter? Usually by February I'd be a miserable, weeping mess. This year, not so much. I'm more sleepy, a little lazy, but surprisingly not at all depressed. I think I'd attribute this more to the Vit D than the diet, but I can't be sure. I'm taking 5000iu D3/day. I remember as a kid growing up in the northern Rockies, how much I craved the sun. We used to take a break from skiiing and sit in the middle of the slope in the snow just to soak up some rays. Maybe at that altitude we actually caught some D from it. But in recent years in NYC I've been wiped out in Jan/Feb/March. Only when the spring rolled around would I emerge from the black cloud.

Anyone else? How do you feel?

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    It could be Vitamin D or increased Omega-3 consumption. I live in Los Angeles, so I can't really speak to the SAD thing...but I know that when I was in high school and a vegetarian living in Massachusetts, it used to hit me tremendously. But I think I was getting plenty of Vitamin D in the summer that my body stored for winter, so I think the Omega-3 thing could be very important.

I can't say I've been that conscientious about the Omega-3. Sometimes I remember, most times not. I'm religious about the D3.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    It's D that makes a difference for me. And yes, I'm the same - still want to sleep a lot, still not concentrating brilliantly, but not depressed and actually capable of work and thought. I used to feel the mood going down in about October, and it stayed that way until spring.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely feel a million times better than I normally would in this time of year. I do still hate the gray days and the cold, but internally I'm in a much better balance.

One thing that's helped me is that I prefer to get vitamin D (now that I'm so aware of how much it benefits me!) the natural way. So living primal encourages me to get outdoors even when I don't necessarily "feel" like it, which also contributes to more "moving slowly often", so overall the whole package reinforces itself.

A+ for the primal winter benefits.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

pebblehead is offline Member
    Ditto for me here in St. Louis. We have had a lot of snowy or overcast days, and I'm still not suffering the blues like I normally do this time of year.

Uncledave is offline Member
    Definitely less affected than in the past. I attribute it to my vitamin D supplementation although there could be other factors. Regardless of the reason, it is a welcome change.
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

If pharmaceutical companies could sell Vit D at $300/month, this would be the new miracle cure for SAD and everyone would hear about it. It's amazing that such a simple solution gives such incredible results.