Thread: Candy bar diet for sickness page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Candy bar diet for sickness

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting post from a paleo eater on eating chocolate when sick:

http://akinokure.blogspot.com/2011/0...oure-sick.html

Take home points:

1. Pathogens feed on iron. So you want to avoid iron. This rules out meat.

2. You want to avoid phytic acid. So no grains, legumes or nuts.

So, firstly, do you think he is on to something?

And secondly, if so, what are filling food sources with no iron. Obviously you have chocolate which is NOT very paleo.* You also have coconut. But what else is there to eat? Load up on vegetables (which are not a food but a medicine in the first place), but they are not very filling.

Also, another good way to fight illness is vit D3 supplementation obviously (to save anyone the trouble of mentioning it).

* EDITTED.
    Last edited by Bushrat; 02-07-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I thought dark chocolate had a decent amount of iron in it. But then again, if he's -only- talking about the candy bars you buy at the grocery store checkout, there's probably negligible amounts of iron in them.

I'm sick at the moment, but the idea of any food is pretty unappealing at the moment, so I'll pass. (But if I were to try this, I think I'd rather eat ice cream than candy bars, but that's just my inner-piggy speaking.)

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    I thought dark chocolate had a decent amount of iron in it. But then again, if he's -only- talking about the candy bars you buy at the grocery store checkout, there's probably negligible amounts of iron in them.

I'm sick at the moment, but the idea of any food is pretty unappealing at the moment, so I'll pass. (But if I were to try this, I think I'd rather eat ice cream than candy bars, but that's just my inner-piggy speaking.)
    Actually, I checked around to see what foods were low in iron and it seems almost everything has iron in it. That is probably why when we are sick we feel like fasting.

If you are sick, really up the vit D3 intake. It helped me.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Welp, I'm feeling sick. Time for some candy bars.

Ugh, I feel horrible. Better eat some more candy bars.

It's been 3 weeks! When is this going to clear up? More candy...
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

So, firstly, do you think he is on to something?

And secondly, if so, what are filling food sources with no iron. Obviously you have chocolate which is very paleo. You also have coconut. But what else is there to eat? Load up on vegetables (which are not a food but a medicine in the first place), but they are not very filling.

Also, another good way to fight illness is vit D3 supplementation obviously (to save anyone the trouble of mentioning it).
    Dairy? Dairy is both low in iron and inhibits iron absorption. Which makes Enamels' ice cream binge a good thing.

Egg whites have protein but virtually no iron...fatten them back up with some good coconut.

Sooo coconut cream of veggie (but not the dark green ones) eggdrop soup ? Sounds like a better plan than candybars.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Welp, I'm feeling sick. Time for some candy bars.

Ugh, I feel horrible. Better eat some more candy bars.

It's been 3 weeks! When is this going to clear up? More candy...
    That was my first thought when I read his title. Then I read his actual post and understood what he was actually on about and it does make sense. I was hoping this thread title would get more interest, if only for the wtf views.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    What a dumb idea. First of all, chocolate does have iron so his basic premise is flawed. Sugar is also very bad for your immune system. He's grasping at straws.
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 02-08-2011 at 03:32 AM.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is terrible at any time--but especially when ill.

Chicken soup--perferably home made is best.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I just remembered an accidental experience I had with this theory - several years ago, waaay before I even remotely cared about nutrition, I had a case of tonsillitis. The only things I could eat were ice cream and warm milk, so not much iron there. The result? I had diarrhea the next day. So yeah, it didn't work for me.