Thread: I don't "get" my body! page

NYCNoir is offline Member

Question I don't "get" my body!

Shop Now
    Okay, I'm weirded out. I've been about 90% Primal since September 2010. My transgressions include potatoes and sugar in my coffee, otherwise it's all hunter-gatherer goodness.

Most days I wake up with no appetite. I eat my "usual" breakfast around noon (3 eggs, 4 bacon, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 tomato), have dinner around 6 pm (meat+veggies, sometimes a tiny bit of potatoes, but only about once-twice a week). Every now and then I have a snack in between (almonds, blueberries, stuff like that).

This past two weeks, I've had zero appetite. ZERO. My menu today: a teeny lamb skewer with yogurt/cucumber sauce, a tablespoon of tuna salad, and two cups of coffee with cream and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. And I forced it all down.

I am not sick. In fact, I feel great. I just don't want to eat. I do drink lots of water, though.

To add insult to injury: I think have gained weight. I was 134, now I'm 140. I have not changed my exercise routine.

What the heck is going on here? Anyone?

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    You could be dealing with some hormone changes, maybe it's the caffeine. Its not generally accepted by CW but fasting is very natural when your body is fighting a virus or infection. It's flu season after all.You said you weren't sick, you may not be feeling it because your body is dealing with it appropriately, killing you appetite to devote the energy you would be using for digestion towards fighting an illness If you don't have an appetite, don't eat, you'll get hungry.
    I'm not a big proponent of long term fasting, but I take all things with a grain of salt, especially on the interwebz, this site might be helpful
    http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_bo...gh_Fasting.htm
    Your post title is "I don't 'get' my body"
    This is an opportunity for you to learn your body, listen, it says don't eat, don't for 14 hours, see what it says.
    Just a thought...
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Thanks for the input! Definitely not fighting any viruses, I feel perfectly fine. Caffeine has never affected me like this before, and I've been drinking coffee for many years.

I guess I'm just rolling with it. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this, and what it might mean. Thanks for the link, looks interesting!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Be careful. While a lack of appetite is common when eating low carb (c.20g or fewer), if you're eating higher carb than that this might be cause for concern because lack of appetite is a signal of something 'off' with the body. The 'gain'--likely water retention--is problematic in this context.

For example, when I become ill (any kind of illness), my body retains water. You say that you're 'sure' you're not fighting any viruses, but I don't know how you can be that sure because while you may feel fine, you DO have symptoms of possible illness--loss of appetite and edema (it can't be fat if you're not eating).

I'd watch for other symptoms and, in the meantime, eat nourishing food as much as your appetite permits.

I would cut the between meal snacks. If you're taking in more energy than you're expending, initially your body will adjust calorie usage to match intake......but obviously you're going to reach a point where you will start gaining a little weight from the excess calories. The more time you spend with food in your belly, the less time your body is allowed to utilize existing energy stores. Cut the snacks, maximize the time between meals, and you should start losing again.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    pregnant?

Thanks for all the posts, guys! It's been a while, but I'm still replying because nothing has changed. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either, and my appetite is still near non-existent.

emmie: The only two things I can think of is lack of sleep and stress. I just naturally don't get tired early. If I go to bed at 10 pm (hoping for 9 hrs), I just won't fall asleep. I usually stay up until midnight, which gives me 7 hrs. As for stress, I've got two kids and a business, so stress is a part of life. But, these two things had been with me long before this started.

UndergroundNutritionist: The snacks were only once in a while, and I stopped them completely a few days after the initial post (which means it's been close to a month). No result.

MalPaz: Nope, definitely not.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you're STILL suffering from loss of appetite, I'd try raising carbs to over 100g for a day or so to see if your appetite returns. If it doesn't, I'd see a doctor. Loss of appetite is a signal for many issues that require medical attention. Even in ketosis, most people only lose their appetite completely for a few days.