Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krill Oil page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Krill Oil

Primal Fuel
    I'm listening to the Health Debate at the moment, and Dr. Mercola is talking about the benefits of krill oil vs fish oil. What are you thoughts on this, and do you guys have any sources that are high quality?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I've heard him recommend krill oil in the past. I think a little expensive at about 50.00 monthly where I am.

AlexBlackman is offline Junior Member
    The body is very inefficient in converting plant Omega 3 (ALA) to the Omega 3 we need (DHA) and (EPA), in short, krill oil is a waste of cash

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBlackman View Post
    The body is very inefficient in converting plant Omega 3 (ALA) to the Omega 3 we need (DHA) and (EPA), in short, krill oil is a waste of cash
    I thought krill does have DHA and EPA being a critter and not a plant.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    *checks the krill oil box*

Umm, yeah. Krill oil has perfectly reasonable amounts of DHA and EPA. What are you talking about?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I thought krill does have DHA and EPA being a critter and not a plant.
    Yes, krill does have DHA/EPA and it's small shrimp-like crustacean, not a plant.
    It contains astaxanthin, which protects it from rancidity and oxidation, unlike regular fish oil. It also has a phospholipid fat structure, rather than a triglyceride structure, which is said to be more easily incorporated into the cell membrane, making it more effective. So, there are some key differences.

I just started using it (Neptune Krill Oil- sold by many different brands) after reading so many people's rave reviews on iherb.com. It seems like people are getting better inflammation controlling results vs. how they felt on fish oil and many people noted big improvements in their cholesterol vs. on fish oil (and also at a lower dose).

AlexBlackman is offline Junior Member
    *facepalms self* oops, I somehow was thinking about flax oil

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I've switched to Krill oil for my night time supplements after reading about it here and doing some research. I'm finding that it's helped with my PMS... I was still cranky this month, but not nearly as short a fuse as is typical. I'm a fan Trying to decide if I'll just switch completely to Krill oil after my bottle of fish oil is gone.

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    I agree with MD Kurt that 3's are a little over hyped in the sense that they are a necessity.
    3's are more of a balancing tool, so to speak, for those not eating grass fed and eating
    to many vegetables oils. You want to balance your 6:3 ratio naturally as possible. If you
    can't, and get in situation where you know your balance for that day will tip toward the
    6 side, then swallow a few 3's. Remember, concentrates and isolates are not nature, just
    as a diet high in veg oils. So be careful with both and spend you hard earned money on
    grass fed. Just my 2 cents.

BJB
    BJB is offline Junior Member
    I have taken Krill Oil for several years and it can be expensive but for all you out there who'd like to save some money (and who wouldn't?) I highly suggest buying it from www.swansonvitamins.com Swanson is a great company with great prices but as importantly, great business ethics! I buy all my supplements from them and have for over 15 years.

I have recently been reading about the advantages of Calamari (squid) oil over Krill and/or other types of fish oil. Yes...fish oil is in high demand and because of that our oceans are suffering, but I won't lecture on eco matters here. Krill is sustainly farmed by one company I know of, and it's the one Swanson carries. But when you read the labels you'll see that the most needed nutrient we need, DHA, is in very short supply by comparison to the Calamari oil that has 500mg of DHA vs. only 27.5mg in Krill. With Omega 6's bombarding us from every direction, even when you're eating healthy, it's no wonder our ratios are so imbalanced and coronary heart disease is still the biggest killer in the USA. I'm going to switch from Krill to Calamari. It's actually less expensive with much higher amounts of DHA. AND...the bonus is there's no fishy smell or after-taste according to one source. Cheers to health!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast