Thread: Valentino Flourless Chocolate Cake page

Valentino Flourless Chocolate Cake

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

16 ounces (1 pound) (454 grams) of dark chocolate chips

1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter

5 large eggs separated

Directions

1. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.

2. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling. Butter your pan and line with a parchment circle then butter the parchment.

3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.

4. Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry).

5. With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.

6. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.

7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter. {link of folding demonstration}

8. Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C

9. Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C.

Note If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.

10. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

*drool*

I grok, therefore I am.

Catalina is offline Member

Hey, Sassa. . .this sounds amazing! What size/shape pan do you use?

maranne is offline Senior Member

It sounds great but how does it taste without any sugar in it? Is it a bit like bitter chocolate?

M x

maba is offline Senior Member

Sassa, I'd mentioned baking a flourless chocolate cake for friends on another thread. This recipe couldn't have come at a better time. I know I'd love this, but do you think it might be a tad bitter for the non-primals?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Nah, Sassa said dark chocolate chips, not baking or bittersweet chocolate. I was thinking about this last night, hubs loves chocolate, and thought he might like it with something around 65-75% cocoa. I'd love a good 88-100%, but that would definitely be too bitter for most

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Oh, that sounds really, really yummy! I know what I'm havin' on my birthday!!! Thanks, Sassa!

Maba, your post for a request on primal desserts is what prompted me to post this!

Catalina, not sure what size pan, actually. I haven't made this yet. I have this version and then two others. This version has the least amount of sugar. The second version calls for 1 1/3 cups of sugar and the final version is 'fancy' with some cooking liquor and other 'flavor' extracts in it too.

Maba, if you're worried about the bitterness, you can always add a pinch or two of Stevia and/ or a touch of Erythritol, etc. I'm sure the texture won't be hindered in the slightest.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh I was thinking a regular spring form pan...do you think that would work Sass? I think I have a 9-inch. I guess I assumed that would be the right type of pan because I usually see flourless chocolate cakes plated like a cheesecake.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I agree. If anything, you can double the recipe since the 9-inch spring form pans are rather large...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast