Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get sleep page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

Can't get sleep

Shop Now
    Hey ya'll!

I am trying to establish a sleeping routine.
    I wanna go to bed at 9:30 and get up at 6:30.
    I went to bed at 9:30 and now at 11:08 I am still awake.
    It is often like this, even when I adapt to Mark's tips about sleeping.

Any advice? Staying up late the night before? I don't know what to do anymore.
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

Primal K@ is offline Member
    How long have you been trying? Are you even tired when you go to bed at 9:30? That's one thing about eating primal is the abundance of energy. I have that problem too.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    why 9 hours of sleep? that seems like a lot, especially if your body is fighting it. but anyway, maybe it's not very conventional, but i take a benadryl or nyquil when i reeeally need to get to sleep (like during a long flight, or if i'm sick and feeling junk). take it at 8:30 and for most people, you're drowsy by 9. it could work for you in the short-term (a few nights, let's say), just enough to get your body used to getting in 9 solid hours, then maybe it'll be easier to sleep on your own schedule.

also, getting in a lot of exercise, being busy and active throughout the day, and just being as un-sedentary as possible works for me. if you're not allowing yourself to "sit down and relax" until like 7 or 8 at night (as in, no napping, lounging in front of the TV or surfing the web endlessly during the day), it's almost like your body goes "FINALLY! now it's time to recover - go to sleep, dammit, so i can repair myself". i'm in bed and asleep by 10:30, and i'm up at 6, so apparently it's worked for me.

good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal K@ View Post
    How long have you been trying? Are you even tired when you go to bed at 9:30? That's one thing about eating primal is the abundance of energy. I have that problem too.
    Well I will turn 18 in a few weeks, so I think I should get at least 8-9 hours of sleep, especially since I party on the weekends and get less sleep and drink.
    Grok from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Moco View Post
    why 9 hours of sleep? that seems like a lot, especially if your body is fighting it. but anyway, maybe it's not very conventional, but i take a benadryl or nyquil when i reeeally need to get to sleep (like during a long flight, or if i'm sick and feeling junk). take it at 8:30 and for most people, you're drowsy by 9. it could work for you in the short-term (a few nights, let's say), just enough to get your body used to getting in 9 solid hours, then maybe it'll be easier to sleep on your own schedule.

also, getting in a lot of exercise, being busy and active throughout the day, and just being as un-sedentary as possible works for me. if you're not allowing yourself to "sit down and relax" until like 7 or 8 at night (as in, no napping, lounging in front of the TV or surfing the web endlessly during the day), it's almost like your body goes "FINALLY! now it's time to recover - go to sleep, dammit, so i can repair myself". i'm in bed and asleep by 10:30, and i'm up at 6, so apparently it's worked for me.

good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    Hmm yeah maybe I don't work out enough. I will try, but I don't take medicine if possible. Thanks though.
    Grok from Germany

gfprof is offline Member
    This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose you can sleep in or grab an afternoon nap? Young people's bodies seem to want to run on a later schedule. (I've always thought school was a little cruel because of this.) Once you're sunk into middle age like me, a 9:30 bedtime will be a breeze Otherwise I would follow Loco Moco's advice, and consider taking a book to bed around 8:30 (maybe even a boring one).

Quote Originally Posted by gfprof View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose you can sleep in or grab an afternoon nap? Young people's bodies seem to want to run on a later schedule. (I've always thought school was a little cruel because of this.) Once you're sunk into middle age like me, a 9:30 bedtime will be a breeze Otherwise I would follow Loco Moco's advice, and consider taking a book to bed around 8:30 (maybe even a boring one).
    I can't sleep in, except on thursdays and fridays, which I don't, because I need to stick to my sleepin schedule, so I can fall asleep and wake up the same times. And on the weekends I can sleep in as well, but most times on the weekends I go to bed late.

When I grab a nap, I can't fall asleep at night.
    Grok from Germany

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    The best advice I ever read and works for me is trying to get up at the same time 7 days a week, or within about an hour of the same time. We get up between 5-5:30 on the weekdays, and usually by 6:30 on the weekends. Your body will be able to set itself with a consistent wake up schedule, and will TELL YOU when it is time to go to bed. It takes some practice to get up consistently even on the weekends, but it gets easier over time. If you have one odd day every couple weeks where you sleep in, that won't totally mess you up....but if you do it too often your body will have trouble setting a schedule.

To make the above work, you need to go to bed ONLY when you are tired....as in yawning feel like you could fall asleep when you hit the pillow. For me, sometimes this is 8:30, sometimes it is 10:30. If you partied one night on the weekend, likely the next night you will be tired sooner. Try and follow the signals as many nights a week as you can.

I spent years sleeping in on the weekends, then having trouble going to bed sunday night, and dragging arse out of bed on monday morning. Maybe by the end of the week I was doing better, but then I would sleep in sat/sun, go to bed late sat/sun, repeat. I think we look at it backwards, if I go to bed early I will get more sleep......where as the body is looking at what time you actually got up and have you been awake long enough.

Try and associate your bed with sleeping as much as possible too. Don't lay in bed awake for hours........ get up and read or something until you feel like you can fall asleep, then go back to bed. Removing TV from our bedroom was the best thing we ever did. You might be fine to read in bed, but if you still struggle, read in a chair or another room.

Think paleo...likely our ancestors got up with the sun every day....a weekend, what was that? When it was dark, when they were tired, they went to bed. Just like finding your true hunger, finding your true 'time to sleep' cues.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    The best advice I ever read and works for me is trying to get up at the same time 7 days a week, or within about an hour of the same time. We get up between 5-5:30 on the weekdays, and usually by 6:30 on the weekends. Your body will be able to set itself with a consistent wake up schedule, and will TELL YOU when it is time to go to bed. It takes some practice to get up consistently even on the weekends, but it gets easier over time. If you have one odd day every couple weeks where you sleep in, that won't totally mess you up....but if you do it too often your body will have trouble setting a schedule.

To make the above work, you need to go to bed ONLY when you are tired....as in yawning feel like you could fall asleep when you hit the pillow. For me, sometimes this is 8:30, sometimes it is 10:30. If you partied one night on the weekend, likely the next night you will be tired sooner. Try and follow the signals as many nights a week as you can.

I spent years sleeping in on the weekends, then having trouble going to bed sunday night, and dragging arse out of bed on monday morning. Maybe by the end of the week I was doing better, but then I would sleep in sat/sun, go to bed late sat/sun, repeat. I think we look at it backwards, if I go to bed early I will get more sleep......where as the body is looking at what time you actually got up and have you been awake long enough.

Try and associate your bed with sleeping as much as possible too. Don't lay in bed awake for hours........ get up and read or something until you feel like you can fall asleep, then go back to bed. Removing TV from our bedroom was the best thing we ever did. You might be fine to read in bed, but if you still struggle, read in a chair or another room.

Think paleo...likely our ancestors got up with the sun every day....a weekend, what was that? When it was dark, when they were tired, they went to bed. Just like finding your true hunger, finding your true 'time to sleep' cues.
    Thank ya for taking the time, pretty good advices, even though I can't have a room just for sleeping, since I live with my parents.
    But I will try not to lay in my bed as often (with my laptop/book).
    Also I will try the things on the weekends. So you say when I partied and got home at lets say 6 in the morning, I should sleep til I wake up and go to bed whenever I feel like it, even if it would be 5 hours later?

I love Primal, since it is a Lifestyle and also about sleeping patterns and such. I feel comfortable sleeping on sheepskin rug(s) and with a sleeping bag as well -- on the floor on the sheepskin(s).
    Grok from Germany

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by traintolive View Post
    So you say when I partied and got home at lets say 6 in the morning, I should sleep til I wake up and go to bed whenever I feel like it, even if it would be 5 hours later?
    I don't know what time you have to get up on non party days.....my initial thought is get a few hours sleep after a party night, and maybe do a power nap if you start to feel run down that day. For a power nap, set an alarm for 25 minutes, and don't sleep beyond that. Anything longer and you risk resetting your sleep clock and then struggling to go to sleep at night.

Likely you will get tired pretty early after a short sleep, and so may end up getting 10 or 11 hours sleep to make up for the shortfall the day before.

Or, you might research biphasic sleep and see if that interests you or fits your schedule.
    Last edited by Meadow; 02-08-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast