Thread: exactly what does Mark think about flaxseed oil? page

janagram is offline Senior Member

exactly what does Mark think about flaxseed oil?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so what does Mark think about flaxseed oil....I just bought some, and put it in my smoothies. Kurt Harris doesn't think that is a good idea...what do you all think?

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I think it's good for salads.

Flaxseed oil is good for seasoning iron skillets.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Its furniture polish with excess O6. And, it doesn't even taste good. Why would you use it?

janagram is offline Senior Member
    hmmm, you gotta point...grokka....

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    From Dr Harris post on fats:

"The 6:3 ratio in plants should be ignored. Nuts or seeds that have any n-3 at all should be thought of only as sources of unwanted PUFA. The n-3 they contain is not converted to the useful long chain n-3s we need at a high enough rate to even consider them food. Plant n-3s like alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) from flaxseed oil should just be considered sources of excess total PUFA like LA, only even more likely to cause oxidative damage as they have more double bonds and are less heat-stable! Plant oils like linseed oil (contains ALA) are literally varnish. I use them to make furniture. I use them for oil paintings as a medium. I avoid eating them."
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...rt-i-fats.html

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I started to use flaxseed oil in my vinaigrettes several years ago because I had a couple of patches of what seemed to be either eczema or some other type of dermatitis. It took care of the problem.

I should add that I eat a diet high in omega 3 rich fish but it didn't relieve the problem. Nor did taking an omega 3 fish oil supplement that is third party certified to contain what is suppose to be in it.

When I took out the flax oil as an experiment the problem returned not long after. So my opinion is flax oil can be beneficial.

It should be kept in the coldest part of the fridge or freezer and used within a maximum of six weeks of opening. I would also buy it in an opaque container and from a store that keeps it refriderated. Also you cannot cook with it.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    As a male, I stay away from anything flax related. Too many recent studies have shown a link between flax and prostate cancer in men and I have no desire to tune my body in that directions.

Plus, it tastes like piss to be quite honest.