Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hormonal birth control (The Pill) and primal living. page

animalcule is offline Senior Member

Hormonal birth control (The Pill) and primal living.

Shop Now
    Women (men are welcome too of course) of MDA, I'd like to have a general discussion! Personal experiences, research, everything.

Prompted in part by this post: http://huntgatherlove.com/content/co...ll-be-ok-right But I've been thinking, and reading, about the pros and cons of, and research on, HBC for a long time.

I'm 25 and have never used it. Given that I've had a period every month for 11 years now, and that I have no plans for kids in my immediate future, and also that I would love to experience weight gain as a side effect since I'm perpetually skinny - I've been thinking of taking the pill. Just for 9 months or so, to give my body a break from cycling, simulate a pregnancy. What say you?

Paleobird Guest
    I say don't mess with your body chemistry, not to mention risking breast and other cancers later in life, in order to gain weight. Try eating more and/or exercising less.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Don't do it. Too easy to stay on it, IMO.
    I was on the Pill for 23 years and it really messed up my hormones. And it was low-dose.
    Learn fertility awareness for birth control. Eat more red meat/liver for iron.

Plus, there is some evidence that our pheromones change when we are on the Pill and that men who are attracted to us when we are on the Pill may not be attracted to us at all when we go off it--and vice-versa.

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I personally would not go near it with a 10 foot pole. I recommend checking this web site out http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ptive/126.html. No hormones, or additives in your body. =)

This one is pretty good as well http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...renessNFP.html
    Last edited by freethinkingcavewoman; 02-06-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added link

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    HBC has a lot of far-reaching consequences including estrogen dominance, leaky gut, potential thyroid problems, weight gain/difficulty losing weight, increased caner risk, etc.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think it's important to balance the risks of the pill against the risks of unintended pregnancy, both physical and emotional for you. Short-term pill use prior to wanting a family, then fertile years using natural spacing techniques (at a time when an oops wouldn't matter as much) then permanent birth control through tube tying or vasectomy might be a good balance of risks and benefits.

For me, the pill went into the category of "I'll take the increased cancer etc risks in return for the benefits". And I'm still OK with that, despite getting cancer which was at a minimum a side-product of pill use (cervical cancer, which I wouldn't have had if I'd used barrier methods).
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Paleobird Guest
    I took the pill for years too, and ended up with breast cancer. May or may not be any causation in that correlation. For me, as a youngster, the benefits outweighed the risks too.

My concern is that the OP cited weight gain as a reason to take the pill. Seems like there are better ways to achieve that.

Also, there are a lot more non-hormonal options available these days than there were for us back in the day. For example the technology of IUDs has come a long way.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the IUD was my favorite form. I almost mentioned it, but I know they used to recommend it primarily for people who've had one baby already. But I do recall hearing somewhere that they've relaxed that now.

And yes....using the pill for weight gain is not something I'd recommend. (Getting pregnant's actually better for that )
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I have tried many different hormonal contraceptives and can say for me they adversely affected me in many ways. I stopped taking Depo Provera a few months back and oh god I'm still messed up from it, but my cycles seem to be getting better. I don't think I have actually ovulated even though I got my last shot approx 6 months ago.

I wouldn't suggest it for the reasons you are mentioning. I do think it's important to have available for those looking to prevent pregnancy that condoms or FAM will not work for. Having had a few unplanned pregnancies I can say I would prefer to have the birth control effects than conceive a child without intending to.

Of the hormonal birth control methods available I would say merina IUD or the nuva ring stacked up as the best options in my research. Depo Provera is absolutely the worst. If you want something non hormonal you could go with a copper IUD but that could make the periods worse.

Also for anyone looking at an IUD I don't suggest using it if you use a Diva Cup. The suction created by the Diva Cup to stay in place and when removing can dislodge an IUD. I had it happen. Twice. (conceived my twins right after the first time).

For now I am happy finally living life off of hormones and since I'm not in a relationship I use condoms regardless when I get some play so it works for me. The weight loss, my moods, my skin, my life all dramatically improved once the depo started wearing off.

eta- The weight gain this is complicated. I have seen studies that indicate that it is much more difficult for women on hormonal BC to build muscle tissue- def not what you want. I am far too lazy to google and link this info but it's something to look up if you are thinking about taking it for "weight gain". It certainly wouldn't help your body composition, IMO.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

It upsets me a little bit when I read that people are so against The Pill, because I am currently taking one (Loestrin 24 Fe) and it kind of makes me feel like even though I'm doing everything else right, I'm still screwing up my body.

I took Yasmin a couple years back for hormonal issues (not birth control) and even though I was really thriving on it I think it messed with my head after a while. I got really horrible anxiety (I'm an anxious little person to begin with) and some other pretty bad side effects. I decided to discontinue the pill and wrote a lengthy thread on the "Yasmin survivors" (yes, it's that serious) saying that I'd never touch a hormonal bcp again.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm back on another one. Why, after being ridiculously adament before?

Because after two years of trying to control debilitating endometriosis and PCOS, I just couldn't take the constant pain anymore.

I tried regulating my hormones myself for too long. I went to a naturopathic doctor. I did the progesterone cream and the chinese herbs, the dong quai teas and the estrogen blockers and I was still nearly hospitalized once a month because of crippling pain, or going without a period for months at a time. When I did have a monthly cycle, I was bloated, exhausted, and in pain for two weeks out of the month.

So I succumbed. Like everything in life, you have to consider the trade-offs. Will make it a little more difficult to lose weight because I'm on this pill? Maybe. Am I manipulating my body's own (effed up) hormones? Yes.

But is it worth not being in constant pain or developing stress-based insomnia due to missing a period 5 months in a row? In my opinion, abso-freakin-lutely.

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast