Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Particular Are You About Not Eating Grains? page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

How Particular Are You About Not Eating Grains?

Primal Fuel
    I started thinking about this after reading the thread on eating pasta at a friends house.

How particular are you about eating grains? Does it vary based on the grain?

I do not eat wheat, or anything that may have touched wheat. I'm celiac, or at the very least VERY gluten-intolerant. Most of my friends asked what it does to me, I explained (heartburn from Hades, extreme fatigue, headaches, sinus infections, etc.), and then we moved on. We rarely eat meals at other people's houses - we generally go out to a few places I know are GF and trust (Olive Garden is NOT on that list, even though they have a GF menu - Outback and Carino's ROCK).

Other grains? I avoid oatmeal, barley, and rye (all gluten or guilty by association). I eat a little rice - mainly with sushi. I don't eat corn, but if something was made with a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce, I'm not going to argue.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Context: I've been Primal for 4-5 months or so. I think that context matters.*

I don't eat grains ever when it's just me. If I have friends over, they eat what I cook. Likewise, when I'm over at a friend's place, I eat what they cook. Now, I personally have no allergies or serious issues to work around. If I did, I'd ensure those were known to friends and family well in advance of eating over/going out and operate accordingly.

* If I was still in my first few weeks of transitioning to Primal living, I'd opt out of "social eating" simply because small set-backs can wreak havoc with some people, either biochemically or just plain guilt-wise. I'd simply tell people what was up and hope they don't feel bad about me not being there for the meals themselves, which is to say there's nothing to stop you from going over after!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

krassi is offline Member
    I don't eat any grains, however if I was at a dinner party and some reicipe or something had a little bit of grains in it I'd probably still eat it, but that doesn't happen very often.

Grizz is offline Banned
    If anyone has doubts about whether to eat grains or not, see the links below my message.
    We don't eat eat grains or oatmeal EVER. Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis has convinced us to avoid all grains - period!

Grizz

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I used to avoid all grains like the plague, but have become lenient with the new year. I don't go out of my way to eat it, but if circumstances align, I might have some. The Partner is not so lenient and if I partake, she won't kiss me (even though she's never had reactions to the stuff, and I do).

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    I'm celiac, have been gluten free for 3 years, Primal for 9 months. I don't eat grains 99% of the time. I NEVER eat gluten grains, even at dinner parties, even to avoid hurting someones feelings, etc.

I occasionally will sample something if someone made something specifically gluten free for us, and if it looks good. Occasionally that's on accident. Yesterday I was working a catering event and my boss was all excited that the chocolate peanut butter balls were gluten free so I ate on (it was about 1/2 inch around, not that huge of a deal) and it was crispy on the inside so I asked what was crunchy? It was rice krispies.. lol. She was horrified that she may have contaminated me with gluten, but I assured her that she was right, rice is gluten free.

Maybe 4 times last year there were occasions that tortilla chips and guac/pico etc were a large part of what was going on and sounded great to me so I ate them for a couple days (vacation in Puerto Vallarte with a personal chef who did AMAZING with gf/grain free- I lost fat that vacay!), weekend in Austin with the hubs, christmas with my brother, etc. These were all a couple days deviation, I got bloated and didn't feel great, and then I got over it and moved on.

Other than corn chips, nothing else has really tempted me enough to "cheat". I plan ahead, bake goodies for my kids and me if we are going to gatherings, tell people politely and gracefully that I would LOVE to try x and y, but can't eat z unfortunately. :-) At this point, I have enough people in my life wanting to know how I eat because I look so great-ha!

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    I avoided grains completely for about a year when I went primal. I've recently introduced them back a little bit. But avoiding them was necessary to wipe the slate so I can accurately measure my threshold for them. I have IBS and fructose malabsorption. I'm also lactose intolerant.

However, going very very low carb wasn't working for me in the long term. Could keep up the sustained energy. Many said eat more fat! But if anything that became inconvenient with my schedule.

I actually find it harder to tolerate corn and rice than bread. As for bread, I'm finding if I eat a piece of fermented bread (sourdough, rye, pumpernickel) once every three days before bed or in the morning, that helps me keep up my energy levels. Also unlike corn or rice, one piece of bread doesn't give me an immediate crash.

We'll see how it goes. If my IBS starts acting up or I start crashing soon after eating, I know even those levels are too high.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
    I occasionally will sample something if someone made something specifically gluten free for us, and if it looks good. Occasionally that's on accident. Yesterday I was working a catering event and my boss was all excited that the chocolate peanut butter balls were gluten free so I ate on (it was about 1/2 inch around, not that huge of a deal) and it was crispy on the inside so I asked what was crunchy? It was rice krispies.. lol. She was horrified that she may have contaminated me with gluten, but I assured her that she was right, rice is gluten free.
    Rice krispies aren't - they use barley malt to sweeten them.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Not very for a primal person. I don't keep it in the house, and I don't seek it out, but I indulge occasionally. Like a snowy night my daughter wanted popcorn and a movie. Or a roll in a restaurant (I haven't been to a restaurant since going primal, so that's hypothetical) But for the most part, no grain. It's no good for me. It triggers cravings and makes me nauseous/gurgly/sick.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Wheat, rye, barley, oats - zero
    Rice - Some white rice. it does seem to spike my blood sugar
    Corn - Some corn tortillas, fresh corn in season
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast