Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for Primalish Desserts page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm having friends over for dinner in a few days. While the main course is going to be completely non-primal (most are vegetarian), I would like the dessert to be low-sugar. Can you give me suggestions for low-sugar desserts? I was thinking Mascarpone with berries, fresh fruit platter, flour-less chocolate cake. I'll most likely use raw-sugar or honey. I haven't tried stevia or sugar alcohols and wouldn't like to experiment with those when I have guests. Suggestions, ideas will be much appreciated.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Depending on weather or not you use dairy, I have a recipe for an Irish Creme Crème brûlée. I subbed out the sugar and used a little honey. I think crème brûlée could be decently primal with a few mods.

I also dropped the burnt sugar from the top.

I grok, therefore I am.

Lovestoclimb, please do share the recipe, it sounds yummy.

Ok...I'll post it when I get home from work. It's pretty yummy...and kinda evil. Good thing the portions are small!

I grok, therefore I am.

Maba,

Here's a version of what the Jewish would make when they are not allowed 'flour' during their holiday celebrations:

Valentino Flourless Chocolate Cake: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Chocolate-Cake

Helen Guest

If you do dairy, here is a Panna Cotta Recipe:

1 Quart Fresh Whipping Cream

2 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

½ Cup Honey

1 Pint Fresh Blackberries and Raspberries

Unlike most recipes for panna cotta in which the custards are set in individual servings, this recipe encourages you to pour the custard into one large dish and then cut individual servings from it. Doing so provides an impressive appearance and eliminates the labor of washing multiple ramekins.

First, pour your gelatin into a dish and add a tablespoon or two of warm water to soften it up a bit. While the gelatin softens, heat the whipping cream, honey and vanilla together in a pot until the honey is fully disolved and incorporated into the cream.

When the honey and cream are perfectly intermingled, remove the mixture from heat and add the gelatin. Take care to incorporate the gelatin thoroughly into the honey and cream mixture. Pour the custard-to-be into a soufflé dish and set it inside the refrigerator. Allow the panna cotta to chill and solidify for at least four hours and preferably overnight.

Once the custard is set, pull it from the fridge. Run a knife along the edge of the dish to gently dislodge the custard from the dish. Invert over a plate and unmold. Garnish with fresh berries.

When I made this, 1/4 cup of honey was plenty sweet enough for my family.

Here's the recipe for the Irish Creme Crème brûlée...its more of a crème without the brûlée :P

2 cups heavy cream

1/3 cup honey

6 egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur

**Note** The original recipe called for sugar instead of honey. My initial run of this I halved the recipe as I was only serving three people (this recipe will serve six). I would highly, highly recommend halving the amount of honey or even less as it was incredibly sweet. I think at 1/6th of a cup (40ml, or a little less than three tablespoons) of honey you'd probably be fine. Give 'er a little taste test to be sure.

Directions

================

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place 6 ramekins on a towel set in a roasting pan at least 3 inches deep.

Stir together cream and honey in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook until very hot, stirring until the honey dissolves. Whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, and Irish cream until combined. Slowly add 1/3 of the hot cream, whisking it in 2 tablespoons at a time until incorporated. Once you have incorporated 1/3 of the cream, you can stir in the remaining hot cream without fear of the mixture curdling.

Pour custard into the ramekins, then fill roasting pan with boiling hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in preheated oven until set, 50 to 60 minutes.

Once the custard has set, place ramekins on a wire rack, and allow to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. Custards may remain refrigerated until ready to serve.

I don't remember where I got the original recipe but props to the creator as it is an awesome treat!

I grok, therefore I am.

amandamarie is offline Junior Member

If you like to use almond flour, here is a link to some great recipes. I have tried a few of the desserts and they have been very delicious!

http://www.elanaspantry.com/almond-flour-recipes/

Helen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing this recipe!

My Panna Cotta recipe came from Nourished Kitchens.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast