Thread: Loss of appetite / eating enough? page

Leanne is offline Senior Member

Loss of appetite / eating enough?

Primal Fuel
    For the past two weeks I have been trying to eat as clean and primal as possible. The one thing I have seriously noticed is that I am NOT hungry. My husband is worried I am not eating enough. I rarely finish what is on my plate. I have been tracking my food on Fit Day more so to get a sense of how many carbs and how much protein I am eating on average but of course it gives you the calories as well. I am of the opinion that calorie counting is A) very imprecise and B) calories in do not equal calories out in weight loss. However, that said, around this forum I am reading posts about how much people are eating in volume as well as calories and am seriously noticing what I am eating is minimal.

According to Fit Day the past two weeks my calorie intake has ranged from 700 to 1000 a day, averaging to about 850. My protein is usually around 70 to 80 grams, my carbs vary from 9 grams (yesterday) to 50 at max.

I never eat breakfast as the thought of food in the morning is, and has always been, for me a huge turn off. Eating before 11am is something I would have to force myself to do usually. So the past couple weeks I simply haven't worried about eating in the morning. I usually have a coffee with an oz heavy cream and a tsp of honey once I get to work. Most of the time it gets cold and is left sitting on my desk. Lunch is usually a bowl of baby spinach leaves with 4 to 6 oz of left over steak or chicken and maybe a half a tomato or a hand full of snow peas, olive oil and vinegar dressing. Dinner ranges from a small steak or chicken breast and steamed broccoli or small salad to an omelette. And that is all I usually eat in a day. Maybe some herbal tea throughout the day. Tonight I didn't even finish my dinner of a chicken breast and sauteed spinach.

I am not feeling hungry. The only thing I am missing are apples, which I love, but for the sake of attempting to stay within ketosis right now I am avoiding. But I think it is more their crunchy sweetness than actual hunger or craving. But then I could happily have a sliced apple and call it a meal.

So do you, in your semi-expert forum opinions, think I need to eat more? Or I am worrying myself needlessly?
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

BreeKN is offline Member
    It may help to increase the appetite by adding a piece of fruit with lunch. I am guessing that your body is getting what it's asking for but if you feel you may not be eating enough or losing weight too rapidly then this may help you. I tend to have this same problem and have found that a piece of fruit helps me feel a little bit better in addition to giving me a little more of an appetite around dinner time. Also, adding variety to your everyday meals may help you to feel more excited about eating and may stimulate the senses to increase your appetite as needed. I am by no means an EXPERT, but I've been experimenting with this problem too!

Loco Moco is offline Member
    this is just my opinion, of course, but i think anything under 1200 cals is way too little. i have a problem with the hunger thing, too, and tracking cals (imprecise as it is) is kind of necessary for me right now because i've been experiencing the same thing you are. i aim for no less than 1200 a day, because it does take a conscious effort to get enough cals in when you just. don't. feel. like. eating!

i second what BreeKN said - whether it's the sugar or the carbs, fruit tends to stimulate the appetite and, well, it just tastes good! what's also helped me is adding more fat to everything. having salad for lunch? add an extra tbsp oil to that dressing. a pat of butter on your baked sweet potato? make it 2 pats! heck, put some on the steak, too! having scrambled eggs for breakfast? throw in an extra egg, and maybe some cheese and bacon.

i've gotta say, though, all the fat really doesn't help with the "not feeling hungry" thing - but it DOES get you back up to a healthier calorie range. while restricting calories may be beneficial for weight loss, severely restricting them (intensional or not) can definitely mess with your body.

Thank you for your replies. My intentions were never to restrict calories, only to restrict carbs. The only time I have ever been successful with weight loss is when I managed to maintain ketosis. I will go back to eating apples, at least one a day anyway. Apples are the one thing I could eat every day and never get tired of. The only reason I have cut out fruit was because it tends to have higher carb content.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Anthony is offline Junior Member
    Definitely adding a little fat here and there is an easy way to increase calories a bit.

Sometimes I'll go into the late evening and realize I haven't eaten in 8 or more hours (I work nights), although I rarely feel hungry. I figure that my body is just working the way it's supposed to work. To contrast that, when I was pre-primal and eating a typical high-carb diet, I was always hungry (and never satiated).

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    This is going on with me as well. I never in my life thought I'd ever say this, but sometimes I actually forget to eat now. It's only when about 3 p.m. comes and I'm headachy and shaky and nauseous do I remember. I really struggled in the beginning with getting down the "eat only when hungry" part. So now that I AM eating only when hungry, I really do not want to force myself to eat. I agree with the others that adding in fruit will spur hunger. Maybe you could just add in half an apple if you are that carb conscious and to see to what extent it affects your hunger. I am in a quandry because I am on a Candida diet, so fruit is out for me for the forseeable future.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Have you lost weight?

I've really only been strictly primal for two weeks, but easing into it over a couple months. So over the past two months I've lost 11 pounds. When I was living off bagels, apples and pasta I was ALWAYS hungry. Pasta for dinner meant seconds and sometimes thirds and an hour later wandering around the kitchen wondering what else I should eat. Now if I eat two small meals a day it seems like a lot and I hardly finish what is on my plate. I do get some fat, on what ever meat I have for protein and olive oil in salad dressings. Not much butter unless I fry an egg in it, because really what do you put butter on if you aren't eating bread? I don't really have time to make hollandaise etc very often.
    Today I ate:
    2 egg omelette with spinach and mushrooms cooked in olive oil
    1/2 a piece of left over steak from yesterday, about 4 oz
    one coffee with cream and a tsp of honey

I have an insane work schedule and although my job is very physical (on my feet all day walking back and forth, a lot of lifting of items up to 30 pounds) I haven't been getting out and getting real challenging exercise and I am wondering if I was doing some sprinting etc if it would stimulate my appetite.