Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fat question page

Kit Rivers is offline Senior Member

fat question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am new here....and yes I do have the book, but it has been one of THOSE weeks and I am only part of the way through.

I have noticed that 'more fat' is often recommended and as I am trying to loose (a lot of) weight I wondered how this was managed? I tried the search thread function but it said there were no threads.

I hate coconut oil, but I use butter to fry things and to put on my veg. I eat the fat off the edges of chops, and the skin off the chicken. I don't like the fat off steak.

My day normally looks like this.
    Breakfast variation on bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, depending on what is in kitchen. There are always eggs so if nothing else I have a silverbeet scrumble.

Lunch. Leftover supper, or tuna with salad vegis from the garden with mayo (is mayo OK?)

Supper. Always homemade, normally meat and 2 veg (I cook potatoes to go with it for hubby and teenage son) I put butter on the veg.

I also eat a handful of nut mid afternoon for a snack. I don't eat most fruit because i don't like it but occasionally (like once a week) I have berries and cream. no sugar. berries from garden.

Is this enough fat?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great to me!

How's your hunger? Are you heading toward your goals or is to too soon to tell?

I do think the forums tend to emphasize fat more loudly than the book does. On the forums I hear "Eat tons of fat". In the book I read "Eat this amount of protein and carbs, and then fill the rest of the space with fat". Probably the same thing really, but I was quite surprised when I first joined the forum how much fat was pushed.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Mayo - people avoid mayo with polyunsaturated oils. (I eat a few tablespoons per week.) There are recipes for mayo made with bacon fat. Have not tried. Sounds like you are off to a good start!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    commercial mayo is "not ok" it's generally made with soy and/or canola oil. you can however make your own mayo from olive oil, avocado oil or even bacon drippings and that would be totally "ok"

Off to look up recipes for homemade mayo.

Thanks for the imput folks.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Red meat, chicken with skin etc actually often contain a majority of calories from fat, just don't waste your money buying the lean stuff Eggs also contain more fat than protein. Cooking with bone broths is also a deliscious way of getting some more fat.

Basically though, your diet looks spot on so keep doing what you're doing. If you're eating whole foods it probably won't matter if your macronutrient ratios are 80/15/5 or 60/25/15.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Make your eggs mostly or all yolks, so like a 5 or 6 yolk omelette. Eat a whole avocado with it.

I love mayo -- I've made my own several times but its no Best Foods, taste-wise. I just let it be a cheat food.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Dark meat chicken (especially with the skin); high-fat ground beef; bacon; bacon; bacon; dark-meat turkey (if you can find it); eggs eggs eggs. Butter - lots of it. Olive oil on your salads. Bacon grease to fry veggies in. Avocados, definitely.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I assume by "the book" you mean The Primal Blueprint? To really get into the science of the fat question read one of Gary Taubes book. If you are into science his first book Good Calories, Bad Calories is a must but a slog to get through. For a streamlined version read his second book, Why We Get Fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I assume by "the book" you mean The Primal Blueprint? To really get into the science of the fat question read one of Gary Taubes book. If you are into science his first book Good Calories, Bad Calories is a must but a slog to get through. For a streamlined version read his second book, Why We Get Fat.
    Yes I did mean Primal Blueprint. I will have to see if the library has the Gary Taubes one....or wait until next month.
    I am interested in the science and also in why conventional wisdom has gone so wrong. Working on the assumption that our various governments were not actually trying to kill us all off, how did they get it so wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast