Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackout curtains, brands, experiences, recommendations page

beachrat is offline Senior Member

Question Blackout curtains, brands, experiences, recommendations

Primal Fuel
    I've been looking around at curtains, and am leery of buying something that claims to black out light, but really doesn't. My bedroom faces east with big, nice windows, and while it's really fine now -- it won't do once the days get longer.

Would love to hear from people who have found products (hopefully available in the US!) that really work well. Thanks in advance!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I bought blackout blinds and they were a big waste of money, IMO. A well-fitting eye-mask is more effective and portable, too!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I simply bought some big, heavy, thick curtains...I don't understand why you would go for a product that claims to block light...? Just buy big, heavy, thick curtains.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I bought the thickest roller shades that Home Depot carries (cheap!) and I have nice lined curtains that I can close over them. I use and eye mask, but I always manage to take it off while I sleep, lol.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    I got some Hunter Douglas honeycomb blackout blinds with a heavy black valance and curtians - they work well. I work nights and it is pitch black in my room when I sleep.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Yeah, no. I can't sleep in an eye mask. I've spent truly excessive amounts of time on airplanes. I've tried many versions and they all give me a headache, especially when I'm lying down (head on a pillow) instead of sitting up on a plane.

And sure, it doesn't have to be labeled "blackout". There are a lot of curtains labeled that way with consumer reviews saying they don't work that well. Big thick heavy curtains sound a bit depressing. So, I was hoping for some responses specifying what has worked for other folks, in the curtains line specifically.

Thanks, Rud3d0g!
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rud3d0g View Post
    The curtains I have are home made - If you know anyone that knows how to use a sewing machine just go to the fabric store and find a cloth that is heavy enough to block out light when you hold it up.
    Hah! Brilliant. I was starting to think about shower curtain liners (not pretty!) but this idea is genius. I used to make curtains out of sheets all the time, so I can't believe this didn't occur to me! Thanks again - I think this is going to be a life saver (well, a budget saver and sleep saver, anyway!).

You've just piled up a heap of good karma for yourself. Thanks so much!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    What carl said - big heavy lined curtains...the ones that are designed to insulate, do a better job. The only problem is around the edges.

Or, if you do not like the feel of elastic around your head, I usually just place a soft shirt over my eyes. But I sleep on my back and dont toss much. I find tech fabrics are the most comfortable.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    What carl said - big heavy lined curtains...the ones that are designed to insulate, do a better job. The only problem is around the edges.
    I tack the edge down to the wall with push pins. And I made a flap for over the curtain rod, also held on with push pins. Doubled black corduroy worked okay for me.

svelting is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're looking at making blackout curtains or having them made, find a fabric store that sells drapery and upholstery fabrics. A decent one will have "dim out" and "black out" fabrics that can be used as liners. In an impoverished and depressed stage in my life and a new landlord put an exterior light less than 5 ft from my bedroom window, I bought yards and yards of black out fabric, cut lengths that were about 6" longer than the window was tall, duct taped the strips to form a rectangle wide enough to cover the picture window, then duct taped that to the window frame. Definitely had a red-neck look, but I slept well in the pitch black room!
    Last edited by svelting; 02-06-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: grammar is gud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast