Thread: PUFAs in spices? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

PUFAs in spices?

I use a lot of ground cumin and occasionally whole celery seeds. NutritionData says that per serving, these spices have far less omega 6 linoleic acid/total PUFA than other common culinary seeds like poppy seeds. So, how bad is it to cook with seed spices, and is oxidative damage something to worry about? I could eat cumin with just about every meal and never get tired of it.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    How many pounds a week do you eat? If it's less than one, you probably don't have problem.

Gordo

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    It's probably better than not using spices. Spices carry a huge amount of protective stuff in them in addition to the PUFAs, they can even protect meat thats grilled with spices: http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/200...althy-grilling

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, spices are consumed in such small quantities (even the ones you use daily) that the PUFA profile is going to have almost no impact. I wouldn't worry about it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    mmmm i love cumin seed too! i honestly wouldn't worry about it, there's probably more PUFAs in salmon than in spices/seeds.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not like PUFA's are the worst thing in the world, It's the balance. If you're eating primal, you shouldn't have to worry.