Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HappyPrimate Family Journal page

HappyPrimate Family Journal

Shop Now
    2/5/11

This is a journal to reflect on my entire family's switch to the Primal diet.

We are:

Me (happyprimate)--29, female, 5'6'', 169 lbs. No SAD since college but a lot of "healthy" CW including Vegetarian, vegan, whole grain, raw food, chronic cardio, low-fat. Still overweight but strong with lots of energy for my kids.

Husband (DH)--29, 6'0'', 130 (yeah you read that right, he's thin!). SAD his whole life, better once we shacked up, but he still frequented a bakery where they knew his name and knew what he wanted. Carboholic, now diagnosed prediabetic with AVG fasting glucose of 111.

Kids--2.5 and 1. both male. healthy.

I have always been interested in primal...but the bleeding heart vegetarian in me denounced it for the ill-effects of mass-produced meat. Fate kept re-intro'ing it to me, and once hubby was dx'd with prediabetes, we took the plunge.

He is feeling charged with proactive energy, but still kinda upset about the whole thing. We're hoping to get fasting blood glucose below 100, permanently.

We've been dabbling the last two weeks.

me: carbs between 50-100. no bread. small amount of sugar in 1 cup of coffee (i drink 3-4 cups, the rest have no sugar). 1 piece of fruit or less per day.

him: two slices homemade bread and sugar in his coffee each day (this IS a drastic reduction.)

kids: as much fruit, veggies, meat that they want. no bread. no added sugar.

His FBG is not coming down so today is the day when we will be starting strict primal, together.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs. coffee no sugar, heavy cream.
    Lunch: free range jerky and fruit
    Dinner: filet mignon, sauteed broccoli with garlic and butter, roasted veggies (potatoes, fennel, zucchini w. lots of butter)

Moods:
    me: okay. feeling a little shaky and keep looking in the cupboard for carbs (which aren't there)
    dh: okay. peeing a lot. fuzzy-brained, anxious. but still confident.
    kids: same as ever. hard to tell since they don't communicate very well yet unless it's a dire emergency. 2.5 year old asking for buttered bread. that's nothing new, though.
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-05-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add'l meal info for day

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. You seem off to a good start. Good luck with primal!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist!! We're just trying to have a happy, healthy family...while also writing down our successes and pitfalls for other primal families.

2/6/11

2/6/11

Meals
    Breakfast: Just coffee with heavy cream for me and husband. Banana and Almonds for kiddos.
    Lunch: Sausage link, potatoes and eggs. Leftover broccoli instead of potatoes for me.
    Dinner: Beef stew with beef, carrots, onions, potatoes, yams, collards, and some leftover red sauce that had sausage and ground beef in it. Salad.
    Snacks: Mid morning--1/2 can coconut milk, 1 banana, 1/2 mango and walnut smoothie for kiddos.
    Dried fig stuffed w/walnuts for me.
    Almonds. 50% chocolate for DH.
    Pear for kids and DH.
    Almonds for DH.

Moods:
    AM-- Hubby is definitely feeling energetic today. He changed the thermostat and started doing some of the refinishing work in the basement that has been on hold for a couple months now. In his words "I am finishing this today." He didn't take his blood sugar this morning, yet. But his energy level and mood suggest that he is feeling fine, if not better, already.
    I have a light headache that may be related to dehydration.
    Neither one of us is hungry despite having skipped breakfast.
    The kids have diarrhea. Yuck. But seem to be in good spirits. 2.5 year old is "helping" daddy in the basement. 1 year old is nursing, playing, and enjoying individual time with me.
    Both kids seem fine with their light breakfast.

PM-- I'm feeling a little irritated, I think DH is too. We're just trying to keep off each others toes.
    2.5 yr old skipped his nap which usually causes a lot of turmoil until bedtime.

Exercise + Play:
    Whole family walk through woods ~ 3/4 mile
    Me: Race training 5 miles in 55:38
    Husband and Boys: Baseball in backyard
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.

2/7/11

Meals

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy cream, Eggs scrambled, zucchini medallions w. thin sliced filet mignon sauteed in butter. Kids had pear and banana too.'

Lunch: Leftover beef stew.
    Dinner: Roasted Chicken (whole, w/skin), baked potatoes

Moods

Hubby: Said his stomach felt weird this morning. FBG was at 100...that's minus 11 points in two days...which I think is pretty good. If anyone reading this knows any more about FBG and drops in it, let me know!! (of course I'll do my own research too!)

Me: No headache today which is nice. Still feeling thirsty though.

Kids: Good spirits. Not very hungry.

We all awoke at 5:45 this morning and we're not getting breakfasted until about 9:00. They did not seem to have a problem with that. During the work week hubby does not eat breakfast and eats his first meal @ work at about 9:30.

Exercise/Play
    Hubby: Walks 2.5 miles to work/back at a brisk pace.
    Me: 2.5 mile jog pushing stroller (31 lb. toddler + 27 lb, 1 year old + weight of stroller)
    Kiddos: they play all day, really. ~1/2 mile run for toddler, while I ran backwards
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.

1/8/11

Meals:
    Breakfast: Steak and Eggs with sauteed broccoli. Coffee with heavy cream. Hubby just the coffee with cream.
    Lunch: Hubby: Choice of Steak, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, orange slices, almonds.
    Dinner: Mahi Mahi, zucchini with fresh clams and butter sauce, sweet potatoes for dh and kids, Salad.
    Snacks: Smoothies (coconut milk, banana, orange) for kids. 85% G&B's for me.

Moods:
    I am in a terrible mood, mostly stemming from sleep deprivation. My youngest is teething.
    He is also in a terrible mood, prolly from teething.
    2.5 year old is fine, as is DH.

Exercise/Play: Hubby walk to/from work. None for me, besides regular housework and playing with kids.

Reflections
    We had baked potatoes last night. I took my blood sugar just to see how it was and it was at 95!! My usual is about 80-85. So i think we are gonna cut white potatoes from our diet. I guess we'll see how yams/sweet potatoes and squash are at some point too. Hubby is going to be pretty upset that even white potatoes are out. But he trusts my judgment.
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Totally fighting cravings right now. I think I awoke the chocolate beast with that chocolate bar snack earlier.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Just. drink. water.
    Just. drink. water.

I'm not even hungry. But I'm looking at macadamia nuts and chocolate lasciviously. (Nuts don't do well by me, they would not be a healthy snack.)

2/9/11

Meals
    Breakfast: Broccoli and red pepper omelettes with steak. Coffee with heavy cream. DH is IF.
    Lunch-IF. Fruit and nuts for kids. Pork tenderloin, sliced oranges, and sauteed broccoli for DH.
    Dinner: Pork tenderloin, sauteed kale and baked potatoes.

Moods

Exercise/Play
    DH: walk to and from work
    Me: 30 minute circuit training
    Kids: play all day, including with the weights i'm not using while circuit training.

Reflections:

Dh woke this morning and his blood sugar is at 92. That was lower than mine (94)!!! So now, naturally I'm worried about my own blood sugar. I knew that it was kinda high before but I was mostly worried about husband.

I'm hoping that as I drop weight my blood sugar will just naturally come down a bit. Not losing very much on primal. But I have faith that it will come off sooner than later.
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-10-2011 at 04:05 AM.

I know most people on here reccommend not trying VLC unless you are obese or diabetic...but I think I'm gonna go VLC for two weeks and see what happens.

So no dark chocolate. No fruit. No beef sticks (which although they have no fillers, do have a tiny bit of sugar in them, to my surprise) Those will be my biggest obstacles.

PrimalCon New York
    Just trying to get through the day today.

My youngest has been teething for two months. I'm starting to suspect some food intolerance is contributing to his discomfort. Along with face rubbing and drooling (teething) he also has lots of gas. I'm not surprised because the boy wants to eat everything we eat, even the meats, and I'm not sure he has that kind of digestive heat yet.

My mantra (for a while now) is: "I have enough energy to __________" Fill in the blank. Whether it's "to get out of bed." "wash the dishes." "play with the kids." "sweep the floor." whatever. That mantra is pretty much what keeps me alive.

Last night was particularly bad, and by the time I awoke DH was already on his way out the door, sans lunch. Hopefully he will not be too hungry while at work. Hopefully the vending machine won't be calling his name by 9:00. The fact that he is a teacher kind of works in his favor...no food in the classrooms...no eating in front of the students during class time.

I hate it when he goes to work with nothing to eat. I feel guilty eating anytime I'm hungry, knowing that he's trying to focus on the students and all his work while hungry. I still eat, of course, cause I'm nursing two groklings...but I just feel so bad. We usually end up eating a very early dinner on these days, which happen less than once a week, but definitely more than once a month.

Today is my first day of very low carb.

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.

Lunch: hot dogs (all beef, no added carbs) and leftover sauteed kale. (strawberries for 2.5 year old. he doesn't like kale)

Dinner: pork loin with sweet potatoes (dh and kids) and sauteed spinach.

Moods:
    I'm actually in a pretty good mood despite long term sleep deprivation. Perhaps it's insanity setting in?
    DH (I'm just gonna call him G from now on...) was out the door....I'm hoping he's feeling okay.
    Grokling #1--awake and asking for breakfast.
    Grokling#2--Still asleep.

Exercise/Play
    Today's exercise will focus mainly on doing housework. Scrubbing kitchen floor and bathroom are at the top of the list for this morning--we are having company. I get down on hands and knees and do this with gusto (I actually like cleaning *gasp!*) and it is very much a workout.
    G, as usual, walks to and from work.
    Last edited by happyprimate; 02-12-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast