Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CRAP. Dinner at friends' house and just told the menu page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

CRAP. Dinner at friends' house and just told the menu

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I really need some advice -- please chime in with the best you got!

We've been trying to plan an evening with a couple for 2 months or so but kept having conflicts with the date. As we've been making the plans, I offered to 1) have them to our place instead so I could control the food, and when that didn't work (it's our turn to go there essentially) 2) offered to bring food (as in the meat/main dish).

She shot that too and told me she would let me know what she was having, and I could bring a side. Last time we had dinner with them they cooked burgers on the grill, and we've had chicken there before too. I knew I could work around something like that.

Well, she didn't let me know until this morning that they are having SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS!!!! Damn it! The one thing I knew I couldn't really work around was PASTA!

In hindsight, I should have told her anything but pasta would be great, but I didn't. It's too late to say anything now, as she doesn't have time to shop for a new menu.

I can bring a nice salad and eat the meatballs (which I'm gonna assume will have breadcrumbs in them), but any other suggestions???

I really don't want to eat pasta!

**We are also having drinks - I will be a serious lightweight since I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve, and I'm making Norcal Margarita (Wolf margaritas) - very excited about that. But the prospect of eating pasta or rudely picking around my plate is making me dread the evening.

**This is a great couple who we always have fun with (I work with the husband and believe it or not, I taught the wife years ago), but we are not best buds. They would look at me like I had a third eyeball if I told them I can't eat grains.

**Yeah, I'm a wuss - I have not learned how to navigate these situations except if eating at my folks' or brother and sis-in-law's.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    1) Either realize that one night of pasta isn't going to kill you

or 2) Just let her know that you'd LOVE some meatballs but pasta isn't agreeing with you at the moment so you'll just have the meatballs and salad. That will still fill enough of your plate that it won't look like you're starving.

And maybe start the rumor for the future that you seem to be gluten intolerant and that you haven't found a grain that doesn't cause problems?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    My feeling would be that if you don't have any health issue like an auto immune issue to just enjoy the night and not worry about it. If you do have type of autoimmunity then I would just tell her that my doctor told me I can't grains and I didn't want to be difficult. If you don't mind I'm going to have the salad and meatball. Put it back on the doctor as opposed to just saying it's your choice.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Without sounding like a jerk, just deal with it. You control your food intake 99% of the time, it seems like. They're treating you to supper and you ought to enjoy yourself and have a great evening.

So my advice is for you to allow yourself to have fun and just eat what's laid out (within reason). Obviously, you can limit some of the "damage" in ways you've already laid out. That said, the spaghetti won't turn into a massive worm inside your body, tear you apart from the inside and swallow your soul. You'll just feel a bit crappy after the meal/the next morning.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Bring the salad with plenty of boiled egg and bacon But only eat the pasta if you want to eat it. Consider a high protein snack beforehand. Also consider bringing a primal appetizer and maybe some primal truffles if you like chocolate so that you can enjoy dessert.

Focus more on the company which you said you enjoy rather than the food. it's just one meal.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    They're treating you to supper and you ought to enjoy yourself and have a great evening.
    This. I was in a similar situation but with a new gourmet pizza place. My buddy had been wanting to go for months and schedules finally synced. We went, I ate pizza, it was good, and I was not struck down by a bolt of primal lightning.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    That's what the 20% is for. Pasta bothers me a LOT less than waffles.

Gordo

Thanks, all, for providing me with some perspective... yeah, I will chill and just have fun. I like the idea of rocking the salad with some hard boiled eggs and bacon.

I will see how it goes and likely eat a minimal amount of the pasta - what I've learned is that I'll be bloated as hell and gassy, but hopefully that won't kick in until I get home - ha.

**let me add that I just finished rockin' the whole30 program and have been FEELING SO GOOD ... I know not wanting to disrupt the nice healthy equilibrium is part of why I freaked when she said spag. and meatballs... oh, and I guess there will be garlic bread too. I got this.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You ought to punch her over and over and over and don't stop until all the bones in your hand are broken.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    You ought to punch her over and over and over and don't stop until all the bones in your hand are broken.
    Grumpy, that was my plan B ;-)

*On a serious note, I've had a realization that it's time for me to come out of the primal closet - I'm not in any way ashamed of this WOE, I just don't relish the idea of explaining it to people who will simply not get it. But, being "out" will make it easier in the long run, and who knows, maybe I'll get a few converts a long the way.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast