Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lou Ana Coconut Oil? Yea or nay? page

jspradley is offline Senior Member

Lou Ana Coconut Oil? Yea or nay?

Primal Fuel
    I foolishly braved the dangers of Wal Mart last night in search of the mythical Nutiva Coconut Oil that some have said dwells there... I found none but instead found Lou Ana coconut oil.

It was like $6 for a 30-something ounce tub, the only ingredient was "coconut oil" but seeing as how it's so ridiculously cheaper than the other brands I was worried if it was any good.
    Does anyone know if this stuff is any good or if it's complete crap?

Thanks in advance!

Grizz is online now Banned
    We use Lou Ana from WalMart. It is OK

However we prefer Nutivia from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic.../dp/B003QDRJXY

NOTE FREE SHIPPING ON A 2-Pack of 54 ounce tubs !

This is excellent coconut oil & is impossible to find locally here in Pudunk Tn.

Grizz

Fevernova is offline Junior Member
    I bought some Lou Ana when I first went primal and can tell you that is pretty bad. It smells kind of funky and has a yellow tint to it. A far cry from the fragrant and pure white Nutiva.

Roguls is offline Junior Member
    Do yourself a favor and get the Nutiva extra virgin. It is the best for simple spoon eating. Tropical Traditions goes on sale and is awesome, too, but has a strange flavor compared to the "cleaner" flavor of the Nutiva. The Nutiva Raw, if it ever returns, is probably my favorite. I can get the Nutiva locally, so I guess I'm lucky. The Amazon price is good.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Be afraid, be very afraid!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Thanks for the warning guys! I figured it was too good to be true. I looove my organoelitist EV coconut oil, a cheaper version was way too much to ask for. lol

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    a good coconut oil container will tell how it is processed. you want it cold-pressed, virgin (no such thing as "extra" virgin), non-bleached, non-refined, non-deodorized.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Lou Ana coconut oil is made from hardened coconut by-products called Copra after all the "premium" coconut content has been removed for other uses (like shredded flakes). It is heated up, bleached, refined, deordorized and then processed with lye.

There is a reason it's 4 dollars at walmart where a brand like nutiva will run you 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Lou Ana coconut oil is made from hardened coconut by-products called Copra after all the "premium" coconut content has been removed for other uses (like shredded flakes). It is heated up, bleached, refined, deordorized and then processed with lye.

There is a reason it's 4 dollars at walmart where a brand like nutiva will run you 20.
    That's the info I was looking for! Thanks.

I'll pass on the Louana. lol

"Copra" is the prefix for "feces" in latin..... that tells me all I need to know. lol

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The following recent study is on rats but the results are nonetheless impressive when comparing virgin coconut oil to copra oil. Not only does it significantly improve the lipid profile but it also prevents lipid peroxidation whereas the copra oil did not. Not sure I buy 100% of the hype about coconut oil, but the lipid improvements alone were enough for me to spend the extra bucks.

http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article...043-1/abstract

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast