Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adapting to weather page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I will be the first to admit, I'm a big baby. I abhor the cold. Anything below 60 degrees SUCKS. I shiver, I get goose bumps, my muscles tense up. I hate it.

How can I embrace cold weather (or even cold showers?) I live in upstate NY, and winter is coming. I dread this time of year, every year, and I don't want to. I want to go back to when I was a kid and the cold and snow didn't matter.

I want to go outside and work out this winter, in the snow, in the cold. Lug a heavy sack through the snow, maybe snow sprints, even a good walk or hike. How can I get past hating the cold? Thoughts?

DebFM is offline Senior Member

First thing, acclimatize now by being outside as much as you can. Inside, don't turn on the heat until it frosts (if you can do it!) and don't overdress on cool days now so your body can get used the cooler weather. During summer capillaries grow up towards the skin's surface to get rid of body heat better & in the winter need to be buried more.

Wearing wool or another good base layer helps, too. Wool's my personal fave, though, because it breathes really well and I don't seem to get clammy from it if I'm outside playing. I totally love wool socks. I also have really good outdoor wear. I buy on the cheap, too. Sierra Trading Post, REI outlet, Backcountry Outlet - anywhere I can get a good deal.

Try warming up before you go outside, too. Getting two little kids all outfitted was usually enough to get my blood going - especially since I usually have to chase the one that doesn't like to wear shoes! LOL!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah, forgot to mention hat + scarf/balaclava work wonders in keeping one warm.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain Diana!

Up here in Northern Ontario it got pretty chilly in the past couple of days. We've even had light flurries.

I love winter but I hate being cold so I make sure that I've got all sorts of great technical gear at my finger-tips. IMO, layering in the cold weather is key to staying warm and toasty. For example, today for my walk into work I layered and layered up good! I wore my Patagonia upper lightweight base-layer, mid-weight North Face TKA200 fleece (fleece is a must!), and my Mountain Hardwear Dragon Shell (Wind and Rain Resistant). Bottom baselayer is mid-weight Marmot. I even had to wear my gloves last night while on my walk! Of course, they were comfy wool lined gloves. The key to socks, is Smartwool. They make superior socks and they're mostly all merino wool. Their moutaineering line is the best!

I'm a firm believer in getting good quality name for winter gear as it really comes down to you get what you pay for.

Now that I'm pretty low in the body-fat percentage, I find I'm having to layer up a little bit more

I grok, therefore I am.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

We're in a cold wave. Got down to mid-sixties last night........

Nice and dry, too. Will mow the back yard soon.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Diana, I don't have any advice but wanted to say I feel your pain. I'm a big wuss- hate the cold, hate the snow. It's why I moved to southern california. Come down for a visit and we can go to the beach- it's going to be 85 today :-)

maba is offline Senior Member

Oh, how I hate winters. I can completely empathize with you Diana. Yesterday, it got to the 30s here.

DebFM, those are great tips. I pull out my winter clothes and shoes at the first sign of cold weather and crank up the heat inside the house. Maybe I shouldn't.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Diana, I really feel your pain. These past couple of days we had below 30's temps here in WI and I feel like i literally get depressed because I hate winter. I also, like you, hate cold and get goosebumps and get tensed up when it's even close to 60.

Last night it was 58 degrees at our house and the boyfriend wanted to turn the heat one. I told him to go get a jacket and to suck it up, because like someone here mentioned, you need to get your body to acclimate to those temps. Now that we got our own house and pay to heat it, we try to keep the heat off until we can no longer slip at night because of the cold.

I also find that drinking something hot before going outside helps a lot. Drink a big cup of hot tea and then go play.

Layering advice was of course, a very good one, as well.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I've found that my body temperature (or perception of it) increases significantly after a fatty meal - perhaps see how your diet affects how sensitive you are? Although this may only work in my nice temperate home climate!

Otherwise, layering and keeping those layers dry are the best I've found.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I remember my first winter in this house; very drafty, with cold, hardwood floors. (I was used to a cozy, easy to heat condo with wall-to-wall carpet!)

I was freezing my a$$ off! The upside? In order to warm up without raising heating costs, I was popping in a Walk-Away-the-Pounds tape about four times a day! I'd work up a nice sweat, and I'd feel fine for a couple of hours. I unintentionally lost about 10 pounds that way. (From the walking or the shivering; I'm not sure which.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast